My suby keeps having power cuts

mummy0608, Jun 27, 8:49am
I just got a subaru legacy 93 gt. When accelerating it seems to cut the power, it doesn't stall but the revs drop, looses speed and it kind of back fires. If I am very very easy on the gas i can get the revs up with out it cutting. I've checked all the intake plumbing for air leaks and put new engine earths on. The engine check light is flashing 1 long flash then 2 short flashes witch I thinks it means code 12 witch apparently means the engine starter switch is sending incorrect signals. Anyone know whats going on!

mummy0608, Jun 27, 9:07am
Ahhhhh that sounds about right I will have to plug it in and double check. I had a look at the crank angle sensor and it appears to have a frayed wire sticking out about 1/2" away from the sensor but i cant see where it goes. Only 2 wires go into the sensor but there is 3 wires at the plug witch is up by the throttle body.

jmkn, Jun 27, 9:08am
my wrx i had did something similar and it ended up being stink coils.

mummy0608, Jun 27, 9:15am
True did it start and idle fine! I have a set of coils for it they just a b#@# to change, But would that cause the the engine to cut the power, almost like a safety over ride if you know what I mean.

jmkn, Jun 27, 9:21am
Run sweet as but when you put foot down it would just die in power., the rev counter would go down to 0 but was still idle fine. Then would just carry on as normal. turned out after plenty coin that the coils were buggered and taped up so that why it was intermittant. Worth a go to put them in if you have them and yes it is a stink job

mummy0608, Jun 27, 9:45am
That sounds like what mine is doing, looks like ill be jacking up my engine 2moro and giving it a try. Thanks

bad_boy_1, Jun 27, 9:47am
yip sounds like coils my non turbo did that and when one was un plugged it ran rough

alltorque350, Jun 27, 10:12am
My money is on the air flow meter

mummy0608, Jun 27, 10:19am
Yeah that is a common fault but normally causes slightly different symptoms. Im having a rapid power loss, not really starving for fuel, how ever if other things dont work that will be the next thing i try. Thanks

lyonruge, Jun 27, 7:39pm
if you have a mil, get it scanned, might save you a lot of fking around.

hopie, Jun 28, 2:18am
havnt thrown a pod filter on it in the last few days have you!

sh0rtiee, Jun 28, 6:58am
hey there, i had this problem with my B4 and we had found that one of the Turbo hoses were split . and thatonce it was fixed it was all good .
hope that helps

bad_boy_1, Jun 28, 10:30am
best to plug the green wires under ya dash and check engine light will flash if a code is stored

hijacka, Jun 28, 11:31am
Code 12 is just letting you know the rpm dropped below 350rpm and the engine still ran. Its obvious that the fault is low fuel pressure. Probably still has the factory Subaru fuel pump in it as well, Please let us know when you take it out as you can give it its 20th birthday next year lol. The good news is the cost of a replacement pump is little and most popular choice would be the walbro gss341 for around $150 comes with fitting kit and very Basic to install. Don't waste money on a secondhand pump.

bad_boy_1, Jun 28, 11:38am
fault code 12 is starter switch tho not fuel pump abnormal signal emitted from starter switch fail safe mode turns starter switch OFF

hijacka, Jun 28, 12:19pm
I think you will find the car is starting just fine. The reason why its recording 12is because the idle dropped below 350rpm and kicks back into life again without having to re start it so ecu sees it as a ''abnormal signal''.

jason_247, Jun 30, 12:34am
had the same thing happen

got up to 6000rpm at full boost then made a bang and ran like shit could hardly drive home

was air flow meter

ozz1, Jun 30, 3:17am
if you are gonna pull fuel pump out. before hand . also check wiring plug .onto fuel pump housing.one terminal has a problem of getting burnt .worth a quicklook. and saves having to go back there.

unbeatabull, Jun 30, 3:22am
Id be checking fuel pressure before and after the filter myself (and at the Rail if they are all ok) before replacing the pump.