94 Hiace dash lights wont turn off

Page 1 / 2
thecoolshop, Jun 7, 3:56am
Just happened this morning.

Start and runs sweet but the lights (oil, battery etc) in the dash stay on and then then warning alarm (continuous beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep) kicks in after 10 seconds, driving me nuts!

What could be the problem!

Cheers.

andy61, Jun 7, 4:27am
Have you looked at the engine to see if the alternator belt is still there! and if still there is it tight! otherwise alternator may need new brushes.

thecoolshop, Jun 7, 5:45am
Yep, belt is there and its tight.

Jesus that alternator is in a tough spot! I guess it needs to be looked at from the bottom.

I drove it to work with it beeping and about 2 mins later I had to move it and it was fine. Then after work. Same thing.

Cheers

kingfisher21, Jun 7, 6:18am
Alternator, and yup, some models can be a mongrel to get out.

skin1235, Jun 7, 6:24am
why would the oil light be on!

thecoolshop, Jun 7, 6:32am
Dunno. Good question.
The only light that goes out is the glow plugs. The rest stay on.

I would have thought that if it was the alternator only, then the battery light would stay on!

skin1235, Jun 7, 6:51am
check charge rate at battery before pulling the alt, if all is fine there I'd be looking for another cause elsewhere, thinking it won't be an earth fault on the cluster because the oil pressure switch is earth circuit
hmmm, check wiring connections from engine to main loom - both the alt and the oil are on the right side of the engine towards the front and often both wires are in a common sheath ( although sometimes the water temp wire is with them ) - cooler weather, cat climbs up alongside engine for night warmth and pulls plug on the way out - they are both simple spade connectors and don't take a lot of tension to pull off( don't laugh too much - cats love the warmth contained in and under van front ends)

skin1235, Jun 7, 6:52am
ecu senses no signal for oil or alt and sounds the alarm

thecoolshop, Jun 7, 8:02am
Thanks mate.

Funny thing you mention the cat. I was boiling the jug for a coffee a couple of days ago and I saw a bloody cat jump under the van.

I will leave it parked up and use the other car and I will take a look on the weekend.

I will post up if I find after I have had a look around.

Cheers!

flashgordon_nz, Jun 7, 12:04pm
sounds like the alternator. what year/model is it! mine is a 2000, with a 5L, same symptoms means time to rebuild the alternator.

thecoolshop, Jun 7, 7:39pm
Its a 1994.

skin1235, Jun 7, 11:57pm
complete with oil light on!

bigfatmat1, Jun 8, 12:21am
its how its wired also you can have a acceptable charge rate but still have a faulty alternator. you need to unplu the plug from the alternator if the lights go out and you have ign at the plug andb+ on stud alt is faulty nothing to do with ecu

thecoolshop, Jun 8, 12:30am
Cheers. I drove it to work and back just now. It starts instantly so the alternator must be still charging but not enough.

I'll take a look later :)

Cheers.

gadgit3, Jun 8, 1:04am
x1
The lighs will also come up if the reg has failed and the batt is getting over charged. Also a diesel engine uses next to no power when going so it will take a few runs with the head lights on to flatten the battery.

skin1235, Jun 8, 1:12am
I can accept the alt light but don't understand the oil light part, they're two different systems that have different protection requirments
BFM says it's the way they're wired - he knows his stuff - but sounds a mickey mouse method of wiring if the two different systems are cojoined yet somehow remain independant (untit he alt - the lesser of the two systems-goes belly up)

toyboy3, Jun 8, 3:06am
oil level light or oil pressure light !

thecoolshop, Jun 8, 3:19am
Not sure, it would be oil pressure wouldn't it. The old girl ain't that flash!

And besides. There is oil in it :p

toyboy3, Jun 8, 3:54am
orange or red oil light !

kingfisher21, Jun 8, 5:47am
It's the alternator! Replace or rebuild it.

gadgit3, Jun 8, 7:43am
It'll only be the brushes. $11 for the part. bout an hour to sort out. No need for a rebuild

bigfatmat1, Jun 8, 8:46am
Thats not trades man words they some back yard words. lol come on at least stick some bearings and oil seals in there while ya at it.and machine the slip ring incase the arcing from brushes has worn it then the brush leads wont snap off or leak oil through it.

bigfatmat1, Jun 8, 8:49am
Its also common for just the warning light circuit to fail on the regs causing light on all the time but still operating normal

thecoolshop, Jun 19, 5:55am
x1
Hey guys. Just an update.

New alternator arrived today and I went out to have a look at how easy it is to fit. Well, its off to the garage. Stuff that!

I will post up if that was the problem.

BTW, the alternator isn't working because the battery goes flat :)

Cheers so far!

thecoolshop, Jun 29, 12:32am
Hey guys,

The alternator was replaced yesterday with a re manufactured one and all is well.

Thanks all for your help :)