Help Please - Nissan Pulsar that wants to kill me!

Page 2 / 3
lyonruge, Jun 26, 10:22pm
its a slow day in my world! things busy up there!

lyonruge, Jun 26, 10:23pm
guess not, your on the boards too!

thejazzpianoma, Jun 26, 10:23pm
Hey you don't want me cutting the ribbon, I might miss!

bmc460, Jun 27, 12:18am
had aute do that . it would only happen in winter it was the air vent in fuel cap freezing over and no air getting into tank then motor couldnt suck petrol up. next time it does it get out and unscrew petrol cap and then put it back on see if it helps. had to have a hose running from manifold to carby so air cleaner so itcould suck hot air to stop carby freezing over. ute was a nissan 720

kazbanz, Jun 27, 1:03am
pretty busy here but it keeps raining. -used car men melt in the rain doncha know

teror, Jun 27, 1:20am
had a pulsar same thing happend it was the auto choke sticking on i used to stop the car get out lift bonnet and wack the side of the carby with a skrewdriver handle worked well the a mate checked it out and did abit of maint on the carb its sweet now also it only did it in the winter

texastwo, Jun 27, 1:42am
Sugarpuffs.LOL!

tmenz, Jun 27, 2:04am
Blonde woman had exactly the same problem with a Pulsar.
Took it into a garage and told them about it.
Was told to come back later and it would be fixed.
Mechanic stripped out carburettor, blew out all the jets and reassembled it - all good.
Blonde came to collect it and asked what the problem was.
Mechanic said "Oh, just crap in the carburettor!"
Blonde says "OK, how often do I have to do that!"

next-to-normal, Jun 27, 2:16am
could be water in the fuel tank, throw a bottle of meths in to clear it

gypsydancer, Jun 27, 3:00am
Wow this has been fun reading! haha. OK, so I need to address some of the questions and posts if I can remember what y'all said.

For starters. I do like to tinker with cars and do home maintenance when I can - partly because I'm a mum and full time student so can't afford to get anyone else to do it lol!
So, here's some things I do know.
1. I took the air filter off and noticed that there is a lot of "soot" (of that's the right word) on the underside of it where it sits over the carby. Surely that's not good.
2. When I start the car in the morning, it revs normal and runs normal. the only time it changes is when I put my foot down. which brings me to .
3. On the side (outside) of the carby is a gadget with a spring, when you push on it it revs the motor. sorry, not sure what it's called. Anyway, when you let it go and the spring part reconnects with the other part, it does the same attempt at stalling. This looks to have some kind of vacuum mechanism. runs into the carby etc.all connected.

So - I reckon you guys are all onto something. and the next question is, can a keen car tinkering resourceful chick like me do some home mechanic magic on this baby or should I just save up for another carby!
I'm poor.so it will be a while! :)

Oh, and I put a new filter on it yesterday cos it turns out it had one on that was the wrong size - too small apparently.
I bought the car a couple of months ago so I'm still getting familiar with it. The guy I bought it off knew about the prob (dirty dealer) and did a pretend job of fixing it (replaced some air hoses) but it was worst when I got it back - and when I bitched about it said he'd just give my money back and take the car back. Cos he said that, I can't demand he do repairs. (have checked into consumer rights etc.)
But I'm not interested in starting again with the drama of finding a cheap car when I am on my own, not even anyone to help me get around to find another cheapy. I'd rather just get this one fixed.

kazbanz, Jun 27, 3:16am
OP SO--refer to post 19.
Whats the answer to the question posed there!
Um given you DON'T feel comfortable driving this carand it has a mechanical fault that may cost a few hundred to fix why don't you take the dealer up on his offer of money back and buy something better!

thewomble1, Jun 27, 3:28am
The auto choke not working correctly

gypsydancer, Jun 27, 3:28am
kazbanz. I'm on my own, I know one or two people and really don't have anyone to help me out with looking for another car. I wouldn't even be able to get around to look at cars and test drive them.
Not to mention, the car was a cheapy, and I'd only have enough money for another cheapy, and chances are I'd end up with another car that will undoubtedly need work before long. So I'd be back where I started.
I'm in the middle of doing a degree, I've got kids to think about, and things are real tough for us in many ways. I don't have the resources or energy to be trying to find a good car for next to nothing. I'm better off sticking with this one and working it out.

As for post 19 - I've tried that. After a while, the motor suddenly idles down, and soon after it stops. Warming it up doesn't help.
The point is, no matter what I do, this problem occurs. I've found that I need to just spend about 20 minutes sitting there going through the starting, warming, revving up, choking and dying and restarting process and get that over with before I've even backed it out of the driveway.

But surely I shouldn't have to do this. I thought cars were built not to have to warm them up for half an hour before you could leave the house in recent years!

And so now, do you think it's really a problem that will cost a few hundred to fix! If that's the case, I'm stuck with it.
I'm seriously not in a position to be able to just easily take it back and start again with looking for another. It may seem like the easy option, and for some it may be, but for me it's not.

Thanks tho :)

cjsee, Jun 27, 3:38am
I had an old Subaru Justy with the same issues ( almost! ). I used a Wynns fuel cleaner.think it was about $10 or so, just tipped it in the gas tank and problem disappeared. Might be worth a try. i think it was called fuel cleaneror injector cleaner. Good luck!

lyonruge, Jun 27, 3:40am
OK, there was a joke up there somewhere about shit in the carb, this may in fact be the case, i presume you dont have an air compressor, so what im about to say is what i would do in the first instance. Take it or leave it, it wont hurt you or the car and it may be worth a shot.
You may have a blockage, the correct way to fix is to strip and clean out the carb, probably not a home job for someone with no exp. I'll risk a bashing and tell you what we used to do to try to clear a carb blockage. Take the air filter top of so the top of the carb is visible, swap the middle two spark plug leads, 2-3 3-2, put your foot flat on the gas and crank it over, keep cranking until it backfires through the carb, do it 2 or 3 times, try to get a good loud back fire, swap the leads back and try it, if it fixes the problem, even temporarily, you have probably found the cause, blockage in carb, let us know how you get on and we'll go from there,

gypsydancer, Jun 27, 3:46am
Thanks lyonruge, that sounds like something fun to have a go at.and will scare the shit out of the neighbours 99 cats too. then they might stop doing their business in my carport!:)
Will give it a go and report back.
Cheers for the other advice about a fuel cleaner too cjsee :)

gypsydancer, Jun 27, 3:48am
p.s I am all for attempting to strip out and clean the carb. If I make sure I know where everything was disconnected from and reconnect it back correctly, I'd be happy to give it a shot. I do whatever I can on my cars whenever I can. I had a pajero and used to mess around with that too :) Good times.

lyonruge, Jun 27, 3:50am
I'll poke my headabove the parapeta little further and ask, do you run the fuel quite low! Unfortunately, if you allow the tank to get too empty you risk getting the poo at the bottom in the system. no offence intended, times are tough for all of us.

lyonruge, Jun 27, 3:54am
another thought, run and warm it up, and then see if you can tie the choke flap open and drive it, if it runs ok with the flap help open, you know its a choke problem, and have a look at the pipe that goes into the air filter housing, the air duct, is there a summer/winter flap, they can cause problems too, try running it with the top off the air filter, see if that makes a difference.

lyonruge, Jun 27, 4:06am
listen for vacuum leaks, engine idling listen for sucking sound, get your ear right in there, may be a split vacuum hose that should be driving a solenoid, and have a look for a small electric switch, near the base of the carb, two wires going into it, it should click on and off with the ignition, you may be able to feel it working if you get someone else to turn the key to on and off, if this doesnt operate it wont allow an idle, will cause a stall, called the idle stop solenoid, a long screwdriver held onto it and against your ear makes a good stethoscope.

cjsee, Jun 27, 4:07am
Jeez you are braver than me. My Justy carb used to give me nightmares! LOL

dinosaw88, Jun 27, 4:10am
So does a piece of windscreen washer hose. And its easier to get in tighter spaces.

kazbanz, Jun 27, 4:11am
Ok something ain't jelling in my head.
If you just simply start the car -walk away come back 15 minutes (or so) later then you say you can't just drive away.
But if you sit in the car revving it up for the same time it then runs great
it really does seem to be pointing to the auto choke.
I'm just not comfortable with the mechanism of your choke/fast idle enough to state this for factbut I do wonder if either replacing the electric fast idle or fitting a manual choke would be the cheapest alternative.
Think this through--the amount of petrol you are wasting warming the car up every day will pay for the repair in a week or so.
If you are a student have you thought of getting a quote for repairs and aproaching WINZ for a loan. --again the payments would be covered by the petrol costs you currently have idling

lyonruge, Jun 27, 4:13am
i think ive fixed her Kaz, shes gone for a drive!

lyonruge, Jun 27, 4:18am
or, shes putting the fire out.