VN Commodore problem

mazda_fiend1, Jun 20, 11:55pm
Hey i have a intermitant problem. Car can go for weeks with no probs but then cuts out and is hard to start. Been to auto electrician so much but cant diagnose problem any thoughts!

budgel, Jun 21, 1:31am
Ignition switch!

dave653, Jun 21, 2:28am
Check the ignition leads. One of ours had broken inside the heat shield. New leads fixed the 'cutting out' and missing under load.

carmedic, Jun 21, 3:27am
Crank position sensor

oversize, Jun 21, 5:30am
this will be what it is, can be tested by pouring a little cold water over it when it is hard to start, then it should start right away. (or you could google and see how to extract the engine error codes)

dave653, Jun 21, 6:35am
Don't think so. Another day, ours called it quits, but slowly. on the same day. Would start, idle ok, but wouldn't actually move under power. By the way. shop manual reckons it's sposed to have a plastic shield protecting it. Ours is an Aussie model. no shield ever fitted. It looked like a small stone had gone through it.

oversize, Jun 21, 6:50am
the vn doesn't, the ecotec does have a cover.
if it's been smacked by a stone then that would give worst failure that the general old age failure which is normally a bad connection inside the unit which is why they will fail when hot and be okay when cold.

treachug, Jun 21, 8:21am
Series 2 VN's onwards had covers as did VP's, VR's.

treachug, Jun 21, 8:27am
How many km's! If around 180-200 check fuel pump. When car dies, turn key off, open fuel flap, remove cap & get someone to turn key to on position while listening for fuel pump noise (noticeable with cap off). If no noise or very quiet, get under car & thump tank under pickup/pump area (around right hand front area of tank). This may shock pump & make it work- or not at all - to get you going again to get home or wherever to get fixed.

ceebee2, Jun 21, 11:14pm
When you state "hard to start" we all assumed you mean, cranks but will not fire, is this correct!

gmphil, Jun 22, 1:58am
Also check fuel pump relay was my problem in end

guest, Oct 15, 6:49am
i have had a very similar problem when i first start it and give it a little rev i will die but start again straight away then sometimes il drive along and it just cuts out then is difficult to start but after 30 seconds fires up again