The new Toyota 86.

Page 1 / 2
moosie_21, Jun 18, 6:47am
Keen! Hopefully it will spawn a renewal of sportscars like the Supra, and not only from Toyota but also other manufacturers!

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/30k-toyota-86-coupe-20120604-1zquf.html

attitudedesignz, Jun 18, 6:55am
Hmmm where to start.

A Toyota with a 'Boxer' engine = fail.
147 kw = fail.

Those 2 things are enough to put me off.

morrisman1, Jun 18, 7:06am
Apparently its a hoot to drive, so why do you need heaps of power!

extrayda, Jun 18, 7:08am
Hey don't knock it, this could be the next Cavalier !
Looks ok, but not keen on a Subaru engine.Odd combination - do Toyota and Subaru do anything else together!

attitudedesignz, Jun 18, 7:12am
Toyota 86
Subaru BRZ

So we have a Toyota with a Subaru motor & a Subaru with a Toyota body LOL.

Bad idea allround really.

sr2, Jun 18, 7:24am
1222kg, RWD, nearly 200hp, low centre of gravity and great front/rear weight bias from the boxer engine.sounding good so far. Can't wait to take one for a drive.

inkapuka, Jun 18, 7:27am
and apparently they are very tail happy so there must be enough power to light the rear wheels up.

grangies, Jun 18, 7:42am
I like the look of it.

Big doors with a small ass. Rather than small doors with a big ass.

gunhand, Jun 18, 7:45am
Looks pretty good to me, but will it still sound like a bloody Subaru or can they modify that "not running on all cylinders" sound.

morrisman1, Jun 18, 7:47am
From what Ive heard on youtube, it sounds like a normal inline 4

grangies, Jun 18, 7:51am
LOL. I know what you mean. Mainly the late 90's to early 2000's .

They sound like a giant ( but subdued ) 4 stoke lawn mower coming down the driveway. The deep ugly humming sound.

audi_s_ate, Jun 18, 7:56am
I'm seriously considering picking one up new. SomethingI can't say any other car has made me think (in my price range) Centre of gravity is rediculously low.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=romf-G6CZ7g
Pretty good video of it getting put through its paces. Will be interesting to see how it fairs in terms of longevity. D4 and boxer don't exactly scream long term prospects.

sr2, Jun 18, 8:02am
LOL, I used to have a girlfriend like that.!

moosie_21, Jun 18, 8:36am
Lol, guess it's a love it or hate it car. Lord knows I'd love to drive one!

gadgit3, Jun 18, 10:22pm
Guess who is a major share holder of Fuji Heavy industries. or Subaru

gman35, Jun 19, 12:37am
From most "honest" overseas reviews , (our NZ papers/Mags hardly ever give a bad one) of this , and the Sub BRZ ,the fly in the ointment is that it DOES appear a bit light in power/torque. I know they are aiming for a good price but surely a turbo model (keeping it simple , manual only , slightly bigger wheels etc etc) in the line up would still sell OK and give the range even more credence !

richardmayes, Jun 19, 12:52am
It's a Subaru engine. there will be plenty of boosted ones running around before long!

alby100, Jun 19, 1:03am
Pity Toyota NZ aren't following the Aussies and bringing in the low spec, low price version.

turton, Jun 19, 6:07am
i think it'l drive pretty nice. However they should make a top of the line version, with say a 200kw turbo engine.

johnf_456, Jun 19, 10:31am
It doesn't actually look to bad and I am not normally a huge fan of Toyota's. But with boxers have a low center of gravity and a change from the traditional FWD sports car it should be not too bad. Judge one after you haven driven it I say.

morrisman1, Jun 19, 10:34am
I think (and hope) that it will be hugely popular, because it fills a gap in the market that has been seriously lacking since many manufacturers went all serious in the 2000s

maddog007, Jun 19, 11:01am
of all the current new model toyota's, this is the only one that isnt a disgrace to car styling. & would be the only one i would consider over the competition.

vivac, Jun 19, 9:15pm
Exactly, and there is already alot of aftermarket gear out there for them.
The aftermarket support will be huge, turbo and supercharger kits will be plentiful

audi_s_ate, Jun 20, 1:22am
Actually they are, and based on exchange rates (keeping in mind add $4kau to rrp to get them on the road. They come out about the same price.

carkitter, Jun 20, 7:30am
This car is the final nail in the coffin for Honda. Their focus on hybrids has killed their sales all over the world because people don't want hybrids, they want cars like the GT-86. Honda are going for a new NSX to prove they still have a sporty focus; what they should be doing is following Toyota and Subaru into the low end sports market. The S2000 was a sales failure and so was the NSX, but the Type R models are revered all over the world. The low end sports market is a winning formula, well done Toyota for bringing it back!