Torque357Nm @ 3000rpm
ModeInline 6 cyl - RWD
Tow1600kg (braked)

I am thinking of replacing it with another vehicle with the following specs:

Power:175kw @ 5000rpm
Torque350Nm @ 3500rpm
ModeInline 4 cyl 4WD
Tow1600kg (braked)

The boat it will be towing weighs in at 1200kg unloaded but may have up to 300kg of fuel and dive gear on it.

Would this meet my nneds!

phillip.weston, Aug 9, 6:05am
how much does each car weigh! what's the wheelbase and track measurements! how about the weight distribution front to rear! They are also important factors to consider, not just the power/torque figures and max towing limits.

To me it seems the 4 cylinder is turbocharged and would be more strained than the V6. I would be looking for an inline 6 for more low down torque.

crzyhrse, Aug 9, 6:08am
Depends on a few more factors. Weight and wheelbase of the two for starters.

There's only one real legal requirement regarding tow vehicle suitability for light simple trailer and that's the ability to stop from 30km/h in 7m. Everything else is just a guideline.

crzyhrse, Aug 9, 6:09am
Pssst. it IS an inline 6.

phillip.weston, Aug 9, 6:23am
whoops - missed that part, thought it said V6. Interested to know what both of the cars are anyway.

vtecintegra, Aug 9, 6:28am
I'm guessing the first one is a Falcon can't pick the second though

mrfxit, Aug 9, 7:51am
Unless the 4wd is in fact an AWD, then that will mean less power to weight ratio

I would suspect it's a modern 4x4 (NOT an awd)
The 4wd will need to rev higher to achieve the same performance levels & usability of the 1st vehicle & I would also suspect that the power band would be fairly narrow compared the 1st vehicle

My vote is NO for the 4wd under the current weight limits

morrisman1, Aug 9, 7:54am
Umm, why not just tell us the cars too!

emmaj26, Aug 9, 8:52am
Are you going of the 4500kg for a class 1 licence!

I was told around a month ago when I done my class 2 full by the testing officer that the weight limit for class 1 is getting incresed to 6000kg sometime around september, he wasnt too sure of exact dates though.So if this were the case weight limits wouldnt be a factor if they were to change

unclejake, Aug 9, 10:05am
I would be interested in rear suspension design on the two vehicles as well as all the (useful) information you have already provided.

A live axle rear is a great bonus when towing.

What is each vehicle!

johnf_456, Aug 9, 10:41am
As above we need more information.

mrfxit, Aug 9, 11:05am
In reference to Old total power/performance to weight ratio of combined rig compared to the proposed new rig.
Nothing to do with reg's or legality's

mrfxit, Aug 9, 11:07am
Not really.
The spec's in the first post are already clear enough for those that live & breath motors
The only presumption would be that everything else about the vehicles are basicly the same in regardsto gearbox & rwd

clark20, Aug 9, 11:17am
1st one flacon, 2nd CX7 Mazda would be my pick

mykl, Aug 9, 11:29am
10 out of 10 for clark20.

AU1 Falcon v Mazda CX-7

Sorry I haven't been around to answer your questions but I've only just got home from work

Weight of vehicles are 1515kg for the Falcon and 1761kg for the CX-7. I'm not sure about the CX-7s drive system (whether it is AWD or 4x4).

The main towing would be from Blenheim to Picton or Blenheim to Havelock to access the Marlborough Sounds and utilising very goodboat ramps.

owene, Aug 9, 12:07pm
Forget them both. Get a Safari aqnd be done with it. Strongest 4x4 in town.

johnf_456, Aug 9, 8:39pm
Well here we go assumptions. Never assume which is why it pays to ask, I also live and breed motors in my line of work. Engine hp and torque is not the only thing to factor for towing.

owene, Aug 9, 9:26pm
In fact, if you need to ask these sorts of questions, one wonders why you are providing a towie service at all!

thunderbolt, Aug 9, 10:19pm
You breed with motor's John!

I hope I never stumble across that video on you tube!

johnf_456, Aug 9, 10:37pm
Lol you know what I mean, also for future reference dont shorten it to john.Johnf_456

hotrodtodd1, Aug 9, 11:31pm
Seriously, would take the 4wd for a test drive & hook your boat onto it and see whats it tows like. I found a 4wd VW Passat W8 an amazingly good tow wagoon

phillip.weston, Aug 9, 11:44pm
In this case I would say the Falcon would be better for towing, but the CX-7 may be able to do the job fine. To me the CX-7 Turbo would be absolutely horrible when towing, it's bad enough when it's nearly empty - they are far from a frugal vehicle to run. I wouldn't be trusting the transmission to take a beating also.

jimjonesy, Aug 10, 12:31am
Alright for towing, rest of the time they are pigs to drive.

mykl, Aug 10, 3:41am
My initial thought was to go for a Territory Turbo Ghia but I was concerned about the fuel consumption, the NA would probably do though. Are there and recognised engine mods to reduce fuel consumption without affecting power too much and reliability.

bubbles52, Aug 10, 6:10am
Kenworth W900 500HP Cat, should tow it nicely