LANDROVER DISCOVERY

Page 1 / 3
marree, Aug 8, 10:31am
Advice please - due for WOF ( normally go to VTNZ - no prob's - give thorough check over, but very costly at say $50), then others advertise WOF for $25 / $30 (makes we wonder will they fail me at that price to seek business!).Good honest answers here please.

marree, Aug 8, 10:33am
Sorry, I mean makes ME wonder (and all the rest of us) why price is so cheap!

the-lada-dude, Aug 8, 7:41pm
i could say some thing quite nasty and derogatory about your vehicle,but i won't.take it to the cheapest place, and save some money for the repairs.

bellky, Aug 8, 8:52pm
We have a Disco too. What you say OP makes sense to me.

I doubt you'll get any mechahanics on here admitting they lure unsuspecting punters with cheap wofs to sting them for repairs.

bellky, Aug 8, 8:53pm
We take ours to VTNZ - no complaints.

steve312, Aug 8, 9:22pm
We do $35 WOFs and no, we don't go out of our way to find or create things to fail vehicles on.Can't speak for everyone though.

flat_white_ltd, Aug 8, 9:31pm
Never hear of a " LOSS-LEADER" !
sheesh, -it's not a crime,- nor is it intent to commit one.
where's the paranoia when supermarkets have cheaper bread than the one down the road to get you in the door.
Once your inside.they don't make you buy anythng else. fact is, you're going to buy what you need there, .because you're already there.

bellky, Aug 8, 9:53pm
My personal opinion is I don't believe this, at all.

doctor_evil99, Aug 8, 9:54pm
I had some funny experiences with VTNZ so I wouldn't take my car there.In one occasion I had the same BMW as the guy who did the inspection, we chatted about our cars - mine was newer, better condition than his.He failed me for my handbrake, eventhough I had the brakes done about 6weeks before.Two days later I took the car back without doing a darn thing to the same VTNZ but inspected by another person , they passed with flying colour.I had the feeling that he failed my car because it was better than his!

gmphil, Aug 8, 10:08pm
I take mine to a garage charges 30 for wof ,my brother has disco taks there too. Some times the cars fail some times they dont ,at my place holy depend on ur cars condition

flat_white_ltd, Aug 8, 10:30pm

flat_white_ltd, Aug 8, 10:30pm
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/lossleader.asp#axzz22zq1Y743
common practice in all service & retail
Nothing nefarious at all.
If a business is going to scam you, they're going to scam you. Period.
How they attract, build, & maintaina customer base is a completely separate issue.

bellky, Aug 8, 10:41pm
^ I knew what a loss leader was 30 years ago.

flat_white_ltd, Aug 8, 10:43pm
Then what's not to believe !

elect70, Aug 8, 11:58pm
Belong to a chartered club , gotgold cardVTNZ give discount !. At least dont have to book it in & leave itthere all day until they get aroundtoit.On my disco the ABS light doesnt go out but the VTNZ guy tested them & Ok so got WOFGarage would tellmeneeds $$$ in repairs( last owner had quote to replace the ABS unitfromWOF garage@$$$ )

doctor_evil99, Aug 9, 12:03am
Can't you just link the ABS warning light to your oil pressure light!

grangies, Aug 9, 1:37am
The overhead costs of running a VTNZ building and business, will be a lot higher than a 1-2 person garage.

VTNZ have to charge $50 to maintain the operation of their business.

marree, Aug 9, 4:54am
Thanks all for comments.I have no problem paying say $50 or so at VTNZ to ensure my vehicle is safe / roadworthy.My main enquiry was re other WOF outlets charging say $25 / $30 etc (sounded rather dodgy), however I think "grangies" has answered question for me (thank you).

supernova2, Aug 9, 5:09am
I doubt the price has anything to do with the competence or otherwise of the tester and thats the problem IMHO.So much of WOF stuff is an opinion.As in is it worn, is it rusty, is it within tolerance!.One of our vehicles has gone to VTNZ for 14 years and we have never had a problem.Its had a reject for top arms and tyres.In all cases fully justified.BUT almost the entire staff at that VTNZ have now changed and I doubt I will ever go back there now as they all look about as qualified as "roadkill".

gmphil, Aug 9, 6:08am
Took my brother one to a 4wd place out west he turn off with scan tool thing $70 and zaid me was a low voltage problem if u try start with flat battery in disco will trip abs lite

zephyrheaven, Aug 9, 6:42am
Wow, never saw that coming - neither did your wife I guess

jmma, Aug 9, 6:48am
Enjoying a beer zeph !(o:

zephyrheaven, Aug 9, 6:50am
Yes thanks, this kids gotta go

jmma, Aug 9, 7:00am
Be careful, like having you around.

flat_white_ltd, Aug 9, 7:03am
^^ what he said