New Road User Charges

Page 1 / 5
lodgelocum, Aug 30, 5:31am
We live permanently in our just under 8 tonne motorhome, with the new ruc taking effect from 1 September, we are now classed as a 13 tonne vehicle, our ruc's have gone from $77 per 1000ks, to $251 per 1000ks.The government says it is increasing this to better our roads, hell, we won't be able to afford to travel on these new roads.Anyone else hit with this excessive charge!

berg, Aug 30, 5:43am
Yep, you own one of the vehicles that fell into the "ouch" catagory. Only possibility is to actually weigh your bus and see if you can find an engineer who will de-rate your GVM to under 12T bringing you into the middle bracket of type 2 ($118 per 1000). Can't see any engineer de-rating it to under the 9T cutoff for low bracket type 2 but worth the asking.
Of course, this will depend on what your bus actually weighs, not what you "think" it weighs

lodgelocum, Aug 30, 6:04am
"Ouch" alright, nope, don't think anyway out.The freedom of travelling has been taken from us really, can't afford to travel paying that much plus the diesel as well.

nicolaas3, Aug 30, 6:50am
I have heard that sometimes on certain model diesel vehicles that the speedo cable can accidentally disconnect on a long trip.

splinter67, Aug 30, 7:00am
me too but it probably has a hubometer that sometimes get bent so they dont read properly butthats just what Ive heard though I dont know any one that would do that now thats a good tui add

smac, Aug 30, 7:24am
So rather than being proactive and doing something about the situation, you'd rather than kick back, curse the gummint, and give up your mobile lifestyle!
I'd say if that's the case you were looking for a reason to get out anyway.

j&cmcg, Aug 30, 7:28am
Don't get why you are crying.we have 52 units on the road and about 30 of them had an increase. there are quite a few options for you to investigate as above to do something about it so stop moanong and go research it

lodgelocum, Aug 30, 7:31am
[quote=j&cmcg]Don't get why you are crying.we have 52 units on the road and about 30 of them had an increase. there are quite a few options for you to investigate as above to do something about it so stop moanong and go research it[/quote] WTF.if the NZMCA can't do anything, one single voice can't.And don't dam well tell me not to moan, if you can't say anything decent, don't bother.

lodgelocum, Aug 30, 7:34am
Again, don't appreciate your stupid comments, the NZMCA has been working on getting this sorted to no avail.Why on earth what I want to get out of the lifestyle.I started this thread to get comments from like-minded people, not smart ar#es.

berg, Aug 30, 7:37am
I offered a possible suggestion. If that's being a smart a, fine, don't accept the very valid option I gave you.

lodgelocum, Aug 30, 7:40am
What are you talking about, my comments weren't directed to you, I appreciated your comments.

berg, Aug 30, 7:44am
Sweet. Is it the bus you have for sale that's the issue here!

lodgelocum, Aug 30, 7:50am
Yes, we are changing to a different type of vehicle.

j&cmcg, Aug 30, 7:50am
rather ironic one "Bus" person in moaning when the rest of us faced huge increases.you had months of advance notice to get it looked into, bet you didn't even put in a submission.so if you just want sympathy as it appears harden up.

scoobeey, Aug 30, 7:53am
im lucky my motorhome 13 tonne but i feel sorry for ya really do!

berg, Aug 30, 7:59am
Having studied the bus you have for sale I feel you may have been lucky getting away with a 8T RUC up until now. Have you actually weighed it to see what the true weight is!

smac, Aug 30, 8:10am
I'm not talking about the NZMCA objecting to the legislation, I'm talking about you getting your vehicle properly certified so you pay the proper amount.

lodgelocum, Aug 30, 8:11am
Really! it is the weight that is showing on all the paperwork.On the odd occasion when on the weigh station, nothing has rung alarm bells so to speak that we are over the weight stated.

smac, Aug 30, 8:12am
What is the current tare weight and GVM as shown on the system!

markthesparky, Aug 30, 8:21am
put a gear reduction on your speedo drive cable, of 1.6:1 so the k's read in miles,or remove it altogether and guess your speed off the rev counter & what gear your in that should save you about 40%-100%, just dont go over 60 on the motorway, if reading in miles or 30 in 50 zones,if your motorhome can go that fast. anyway, if you live permantly in it you should have another car 4 driveing around in, anyway & R.U.Cs shouldn't be such a big deal, mabey think about swapping it 4 a section & just paying rates, ya bloody hippie

lodgelocum, Aug 30, 8:22am
The current tare weight is 6970 or similar and the GVM now shows as 13 tonne.We got new k's today and the 13 tonne shows up on that.

berg, Aug 30, 8:22am
Yep, quite often the RUC was not checked on motorhomes at weighstations, they would have been more concerned if you had breached 6000kg on the front axle or 8200kg on the rear. Recently delt with one that went 9400kg on the rear axle (about the same size as yours) which ended up needing a permit to continue.

berg, Aug 30, 8:23am
Was tare weight done after it was turned into a motor home or when it was a bus

markthesparky, Aug 30, 8:24am
if it's got a hubo , put bigger tyres on it

lodgelocum, Aug 30, 8:30am
Not sure, was converted when we bought it, but it had to be certified as a motorhome so can only presume done then.