New Road User Charges

Page 2 / 5
ajk, Aug 30, 8:30am
do what the other down trodden do, get a bunch of you together and camp in luxury on the grounds of the behive or parliment buildings as a formal protest over how unfair this actually is to lifestyles (I actually do agree with you thats a rediculous increase), register your protest, and they legally cant move you on without going through their own hoops, plus you get to stay in the middle of wellington for free

markthesparky, Aug 30, 8:31am
$251 could get a 3000-4000cc petrol car or ute 1000 k's and more without RUCs even a V8 if you took it easy on the gas on our smooth, new roads
have you thought about putting a LPG V8 in your house!

berg, Aug 30, 8:33am
Not always. Not that it matters now. Like I said, get it weighed (come back and let us know how heavy) then talk to an engineer about de-rating the GVM if they are willing to do it.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 30, 8:35am
Because of the weight it would still need to pay RUC even if petrol powered as far as I am aware.

lodgelocum, Aug 30, 8:38am
Haha could be fun.I am aware it is just not motorhomers affected, I am just so peeved off about it, know it affects alot of businesses, it is a huge increase for everyone.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 30, 8:39am
Its nice to see some enthusiasm for the preservation of the right to enjoy motoring and leisure activities in NZ.
So many are sucked into the "its O.K to over tax the polluting cars" and "fine them for going 1km/h over the limit" nonsense that seems to be popular these days.
We are not robot's we are humans and the whole point of living in NZ is to enjoy its beauty, there is little economic incentive to be here after all.

peacebird15, Aug 30, 8:42am
Feel sorry for the furniture truck guys, big trucks but generally doing big ks on light loads.

all 3 of my trucks had ruc increases although one full loaded only carrys 50% of its max.

lodgelocum, Aug 30, 8:43am
Thanks, will look into it.We do get alot of info from the NZMCA site and the like, didn't look hopeful but you never know.

outbidyou2, Aug 30, 8:45am
Thats a god damn fckn ridiculous increase.

berg, Aug 30, 8:47am
Currently a few "Max cube, min weight" semi trailers being built to take advantage of the new RUC pricing.

jc555, Aug 30, 8:48am
yep . seems to be no allowance for what the truck does, just what it could do.In my case, b-train configuration, paying RUC's to 54 tonne.

What peeved me the most, was the incorrect information given by RUC people when I spoke with them (several times) early in August.

splinter67, Aug 30, 8:49am
I wonder how long before the big courier companies get rid of there six axle btrains and go back to 4 axles which they can cart the loads that they carry now legally but cheaper hmm same weight but over less axles whats that going to do to the road

xs1100, Aug 30, 8:51am
the law now is actually set to the maximum your vechile can carry rather than the actual load you carry so unfortunatly the small guys are getting caned whilst the bigger ones are fine

berg, Aug 30, 8:51am
NZTA actively targeting the axle combinations that cause most damage to the roads. Unfortunately cat 3, type 2 falls into the problem catagory

lodgelocum, Aug 30, 8:52am
You are right there.

splinter67, Aug 30, 8:56am
can you go back to a four axle somehow getting the big h on the front of your truck dont look so smart after all how long have they been planing this spend all that money getting it certified which you paid a lot to ltnz then they slam you with rucs not really fair but what can you do

berg, Aug 30, 8:56am
Yep, I can see that working for some operators. Surprisingly tri sets do damage the roads but more in tight turning situations. I'd say we will see more 5 axle b-trains rather than 4.

lodgelocum, Aug 30, 8:59am
When we went to VTNZ this week to get our new k's, VTNZ informed us there is no rebate for the unused old ones, and we had several 1000's of k's not used (due to illness and having to park up for treatment).We got onto NZTA RUC Refunds and got a refund within 3 days paid directly into our bank account.So VTNZ are not clued up to these changes.

markthesparky, Aug 30, 9:03am
not being a truck driver myself but most motorhomes i ever seen sit in a yard with rego on hold and tow a little car or carry a motorbike on them when they move between places. put bigger tyres on and the Ks will last longer . simple physics

berg, Aug 30, 9:05am
Imagine how Halls feel with their super single equipped b-trains. They are no longer a cheap unit to operate

berg, Aug 30, 9:06am
Trust me, they are onto that and many of the other tricks

splinter67, Aug 30, 9:06am
Whats the difference between the two weight wise been a while since I had to know this would it still be 38 un brake coded

splinter67, Aug 30, 9:11am
yup and they dont cart that much weight I used to tow a 43 triaxle carrying fresh salads between aucks and welly most we carted would be 8 ton hell wouldnt be worth doing now

mrfxit, Aug 30, 9:11am
Part of a hub meter check, is checking that the correct matching size tires are used.
Hub meters are configured to match a specific size tire for that axle

jc555, Aug 30, 9:13am
cost too much to do - payback period too long.

about the only thing to do is re-crunch the numbers, attempt to pass on the increase costs.