New Road User Charges

Page 5 / 5
skygone1, Sep 8, 8:27am
No. Have you seen the penaltys for interfairing with milage recorders. All distance records have to relate to COF records and drivers log books and road side checks. The gestapo will get you.

berg, Sep 8, 7:57pm
In the way of a lot of things, this lesislation has been brought in because of the actions of some yet we all suffer. If you want somebody to blame for this, blame the unscrupulous operators who used to buy "tare weight" RUC yet run at 44T or better.
Before you say these operators were few and far between, wrong. Due to lack of staff policing said operators had got harder and harder with many slipping through the net every day. As an example, I delt with a truck that for the last 30,000kms up to the new changes had been running a 9T label on the truck and a 12T on the trailer. Being what it does it often runs on permits with weights exceeding 50T yet no supplimentrys were ever purchased. This same company I caught some time ago with a dodgy hubo and 163,000kms of unpaid RUC.
So there you go. The actions of a few impact on us all. All you winners that promote dodging the system, have a think about the "big picture" results of what you are doing and what the next imposition placed upon all of us may be because of your actions.

smac, Sep 8, 8:08pm
Berg I understand your point, but you raise another. I'm well aware of the pressure on enforcement staffing levels, however cases like the one above would have been caught on day one if the agencies concerned made better use of the data they hold. If that truck was on a permit, there was a enough data to catch him, yet somebody somewhere didn't think to cross reference those two facts (the permit weight and the RUC licence weight).

berg, Sep 8, 8:14pm
Problem is mate, who's going to do it! Our department has had a 20% plus budget cut in the past few years and has suffered from low staffing levels. The volume of commercial vehicles on the road has risen at an astounding rate so its always going to be a lottery on who gets stopped and where. The money just isn't there to stop or target every rogue operator. NZTA have been trying with the ORS system but these things take time.

splinter67, Sep 8, 8:34pm
Hell just looked at the new fines for rucs infringements there will be plenty of money for all the departments. When they start catching offenders and what we were talking about earlier the six axle and four axle thing talking to a major operator yesterday he is about to order 5 brand new 4 axle units this week and will be replacing his tractor units and eight leggers and 4 axle trailers in the very near future Hmm wonder what that will do to the roads

berg, Sep 8, 8:48pm
A lot of the fines have decreased as well tho plus many are now instant rather than having the hassle of going to court for the trivial stuff. The fines for deliberate evasion etc are as they should be, tough.
As for some new and strange units on our roads, yep, I agree, we will see some weird and not always logical units evolving. But, many of those multi axle units were built purely to dodge RUC under the old ragime rather than for function. Maybe we will see more economic units being built.

smac, Sep 8, 8:56pm
NZTA has staff who's job is to track RUC evasion. Trouble is they mostly seem to be hired for traffic/vehicle experience (ex police, mechanic) so don't have the skills to use the databases to track the crims. Would be a LOT more effective than cruising the highways or door knocking.

splinter67, Sep 8, 8:58pm
problem is Berg these new units are going to wreck our roads 35 ton over 10 axles is better for our roads than than 35 ton over 7axles. I did ask that question about rucs being cheaper for 6 axles under the old law and you are partially right there was another reason the resale of units. He replaces every two years

berg, Sep 8, 8:59pm
Hmmm, actually they do a pretty good job with RUC evasion for the numbers they have. They are few in number and often outnumbered by the offending.