Commodore Death Rattle

Page 1 / 3
lazzo, Aug 30, 12:27pm
The car is a 1999 VT Commodore 3.8 V6 sedan travelled 213,000km

Driving said junk along the open road at 100kph and suddenly develops what is best described as a 'shudder' so I get it to a safe place off the road to find that it will not idle correctly and struggles to stay running, if you pull it into drive it would stall or very nearly stall, but if you leave it in neutral and rev it, it would rev out to 4 or 5000rpm fine with the slightest sound of a miss. My first thought was a spark plug had shit itself.

So I ditch the car for the rest of the day and went back at dawn to try and see if I could get the car home, it started and ran rough as it was before, I managed to drive it the 20km to home but when approaching traffic lights or corners I needed to slip it back into neutral and keep the revs on so as it wouldn't stall, driving along the highway it was able to cope with 80kmph but not without shuddering and shaking the whole car along the way, but if you tried to accelerate even more it was quite an effort to get it to.

1.5km from home it developed what I call a 'death rattle'. A very very loud knock.knock.knock coming from the engine, the knocking increased with the rpm and continued a terrible shuddering, by now it's next to gutless and only just managed to get it going from a stand still at the last step of lights before home.

I've taken all the plugs out and all look fine, but the rattle it has developed sounds much more serious.

Is it stuffed! Anyone got ideas!

therafter1, Aug 30, 12:36pm
Noises are tricky ones on the net lol

In saying that, your description of things doesn't sound very flash for the future of that particular donkey.

fordkiwi27, Aug 30, 12:41pm
freeeeeekin awesme!

lazzo, Aug 30, 12:48pm
I also own a Ford before anyone gets too cocky.

therafter1, Aug 30, 12:58pm
It can be lots of things lol

But loud noises and big loss of power is usually associated with terminal type problems.

As a part of my job I drive a tow truck. Where I work sometimes the weather is not the best and when you get to the casualty you want to spend as little time as possible exposed to the elements so it is preferable that the vehicle will start . within about 2 or 3 seconds of turning that key you usually know whether the casualty is terminal or not . but not always, loose main pulleys can make terminal type noises, but not usually for long periods.

lazzo, Aug 30, 1:06pm
I've only heard one car that's done a big end, and this kind of sounds similar.

therafter1, Aug 30, 1:10pm
It is a very distinctive noise alright, once you have heard it you don't usually forget it lol

We have people limp into our place and it sounds like a steam engine arriving at the door, sometimes they leave it idling so we can hear it, and they hop out and say "excuse me, our cars making a funny noise" lol

That's not a noise, that's a death rattle lol

snoopy221, Aug 30, 1:21pm
As one Big end sayd to ta udda,,,,
Hop
Out
Love
Damn
Engine's
Nackerd

NZTools, Aug 30, 6:30pm
Hunk
Of
Lousey
Decrepid
Engine
Noise!

splinter67, Aug 30, 6:35pm
I prefer
Found
On
Rope
Danglingunderneath my boat

hatchback, Aug 30, 7:27pm
Driver
Returns
On
Foot

hatchback, Aug 30, 7:30pm
Yes it is stuffed, you need to sell it to me for $58 and I will gladly remove it from the south Island so it doesnt bother you again

m16d, Aug 30, 9:56pm
Has it got any oil in it.!

countrypete, Aug 30, 10:21pm
Don't know about the death rattle, but the first thing I would check is the fuel filter near the fuel tankMy commodore exhibited exactly the same symtoms, apart from the rattle.New fuel filter cured it.

ceebee2, Aug 31, 1:58am
Big end has "gone" I would guess form your description.if you rev it again a piece of cast iron may pop out for a look!

lazzo, Aug 31, 2:13am
Yeah, the first time I heard that noise I thought it sounded just like the other car I've heard that had done a big end. I think this Commodore will be going to its grave, it's not worth repair.

hopie, Aug 31, 2:19am
did it sound like a tractor!

lazzo, Aug 31, 2:20am
x1
I already have a BF Falcon XR8 ute, so I might replace this old Commodore sedan with a BA or BF Falcon XR6.

lazzo, Aug 31, 2:22am
It was so noisey every car within 100 metres was looking around!

chip8, Aug 31, 2:27am
Had a similar thing years ago with a VN. It turned out to be the computer. It was shuddering like hell. I actually thought it was something in the back axle or diff.

elect70, Aug 31, 2:55am
If you can get sump off in situcan doa partrebuildrings & bearings , or used motor which is always a gamble . As it isits worth FA .

whqqsh, Aug 31, 3:04am
x1
$500-1000 second hand motor, easiest way out IMO

gmphil, Aug 31, 3:33am
If still has oil in u didnt cook it due lack water,coil pack be ur problem.

whqqsh, Aug 31, 5:04am
Ive had 2 commodores die due to coil pack, they run like crap & finally die (or one just instantly died) but def no knocking

lazzo, Aug 31, 5:17am
The oil and water and temperatures are all normal.