Commodore Death Rattle

Page 2 / 3
lazzo, Aug 31, 5:34am
So I've plucked up the courage to start the engine again, still sounds like a baby let loose in the pot cupboard. But I did identify the noise coming from the top of the motor, tappet sort of area, so this counts out the big end with that being at the bottom of the motor. And no it can't just be noisey tappets cause its 50 times worse than noisey tappets, still struggles to idle or maintain revs especially when put in gear and still a lack of power.

kingfisher21, Aug 31, 5:38am
Loose flywheel, flexplate, or the harmonic balancer has fallen apart.

carclan, Aug 31, 5:46am
Big end bearings most likely

NZTools, Aug 31, 5:51am
Reading comprehension isnt there today is it!

He just said the noise was coming from the top of the motor.

dent, Aug 31, 6:10am
Worn big ends can create a noise in the top of the engine. When theres that much play in a big end the piston can tap the cylinder head at tdc. There for the noise your hearing is the piston to head contact but is due to a worn big end.

lazzo, Aug 31, 6:13am
Luckily this car means very little to me, it had next to no value when it was running right and so I refuse to spend any great amount of money on it. So I'll potter around trying to see if I can work out what it is, when I get motivated I'll take the tappet covers off and see if there is anything glaringly obvious. After that I'll be getting the coroner to confirm its death and dispose of accordingly.

jmma, Aug 31, 6:14am
Is this the one with timing chain issues!

whqqsh, Aug 31, 6:16am
harmonic balancer rattles at idle or off throttle but once load is on it quietens down

treachug, Aug 31, 11:59am
once you have finished pottering around flick me a email & I will come round & take it to the death row in the sky - or home - and also provide you with 3 or 4 or maybe 5 red rutherfords to soften the pain & greiving

sfw4, Aug 31, 12:22pm
The car is a 1999 VT Commodore 3.8 V6 sedan travelled 213,000km"
Ya joking! somethign not right there. they're good for 500,000 before big end goes. Unless someones put cheap oil in it and hasnt changed il filter. Or Holden Co employee was in a stink mood and did a crap job wen putting motor together, Check harmonic balancer and then try coil pack

sfw4, Aug 31, 12:24pm
Could even be crank angle sensor behind the Harmonic balancer has been damagewd and thrown timing right out. Theres no way at 213k. they go at 500,000kms unless its had cheap oil put in. Just doesnt seem right

lazzo, Aug 31, 12:31pm
It's had a faultless service record all it's life, oil and filter according to the manufactures standard every 10,000km. Maybe this one is just a dog.

sfw4, Aug 31, 12:34pm
its virtually unheard of at 213k. take out engine fuse, take off rocker covers, spark plugs and crank it over see if noise is still there. if its terminal you'll hear it straight away. something knocking into something!

sfw4, Aug 31, 12:38pm
also check oil to see if level gone up, emulsified with water. if your temperature was good then head gasket was okay. Watch to see if all rockers are moving too wen partner cranks it over. Make sure engine fuse is out.
If you have a buddy with asimilar Car, get them to come round and swap over their coil pack. for process of elimination.

gmphil, Aug 31, 9:19pm
Remember one coil out two cyclinder down

lazzo, Sep 6, 9:50am
Well. Commodore is now officially dead, it appears a piece of steel has been driven through the bottom of the engine and oil is pissing out. NOT going to have it repaired.

splinter67, Sep 6, 9:57am
Sorry to tell you but that bit of steel that came out of your engine was a con rod and strangely enough that is generally what a knocking noise from your engine means

jmma, Sep 6, 9:57am
Leg out of bed )o:

treachug, Sep 6, 9:58am
send me an email via my wanted advert - take it off your hands with the 3 rutherford redbacks waiting for you.

lazzo, Sep 6, 10:01am
Thanks but it has a new home sorted out. Will be glad to see the back of it.

steve56467, Sep 6, 10:08am
A v6 c/dore doing that at just over 200k! Must have been a hell of a burnout! Sorry to hear of your stuffed car. You just don't hear of that happening to the commy/falc 6's

lazzo, Sep 6, 10:38am
This one has been serviced religiously all it's life and I can assure you it's never done a burnout. I feel it's replacement will be a BF XR6.

therafter1, Sep 6, 10:47am
Welcome aboard the board sport, you're off to a flying start lol

steve56467, Sep 6, 10:53am
Slip in a new coil pack mate, good as new.

Good luck on the next one lazzo

therafter1, Sep 6, 10:57am
He will need to splatter a bit of mig or something on the rod to stick that back together with the round bit that goes up and down and then bung a couple of tubes of knead it into the hole in the block or sump or where ever and source a bit of waste oil for a top up first . I'm pickin that she'll blow again tho lol