How much room do dealers have to move?

jaybee38, Aug 30, 11:33pm
I realise it depends very much on the car and the price, and probably a heap of other things too, but anyone have a ballpark idea of the markup above profit! If you are looking at a car in the 20-30K range, how much are they likely to come down and still make a profit!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 30, 11:39pm
Best way to gauge it is to compare it to a private sale price IMO. They usually have a bit of margin in it even if they were to sell at the private sale price (which they don't normally) as they usually import, trade etc.

Each car is different though.

There are some benefits (and pitfall's) to buying from a dealer but the benefits don't justify some of they absurd prices I see around. Not all dealer prices are silly, some are very good but others are just absurd so do your research.

Ultimately in my opinion its about what the car is worth, not how much you can get off. If a car is on a lot for twice what its worth (which is surprisingly common) its still not good buying with a 20% discount.

Happy Shopping.

kazbanz, Aug 30, 11:50pm
Hi Jaybee --this question has been asked a million times before.
Im not having a go at ya but use the search feature to the left here and you will see hundreds of replies.
My reply is always the same to questions phrased as your is.
You are thinking totally wrong.
Forget about discount.!
If you are set on a make model start doing your research.
What price are they being advertised for!
Is there a jump in price at a certain year!
How influencial is the milage on asking price!
What is the price range!
You now have the information to make some informed decision.
If the car is the most expensive and hasn't got some extra special feature you'll have a good idea as to a discount to ask for
If its already the cheapestlikely theres not a lot of room if any to move on price
BUTtheres never any harm in asking