Strange Starlet problem

Page 1 / 2
alphagorpat, Aug 14, 5:16am
Its an '85 Starlet with EFI - and is driving me crazy. Symptom is that it gets to 80 k/hr and won't go past that.Slightly shows up in all the gears. At first we changed the fuel filter, no change. Went into the garage and changed plug wires and pressure of fuel pump, which showed 40psi. Then off to Auto Elect + put on Scope - Coil O.K., timing O.K. and the distributor was cleaned out. Plugs get changed regularly. Problem still persists and evidentally its hard to get motor parts for these models.Anyone ever heard of a problem like that before, I have run out of ideas to solve it, and NO its not going on the scrap heap.

splinter67, Aug 14, 5:18am
Whats your air filter like

kazbanz, Aug 14, 5:19am
Have you checked the air filter and the exhaust for blockage

thunderbolt, Aug 14, 5:21am
Maybe a blocked catalytic convertor would give those types of symptoms.

kcf, Aug 14, 5:30am
Collapsed muffler completely blocking the exhaust!

alphagorpat, Aug 14, 5:34am
Good suggestion, thanks - sometimes little things can trip you up.

alphagorpat, Aug 14, 5:37am
Thanks - taking it for a WOF tomorrow so can check it while on the lift - cheers.

splinter67, Aug 14, 5:46am
My sisters car came back from a very expensive service not running any better than it went in I changed the very black air filter she then took the airfilter back to the garage to be told by the person (I cant call him a mechanic) who did the job that he didn't consider that the airfilter was part of a service the place has since closed

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 5:51am
* facepalm * knuckle dragging neanderthal's.

The scary thing is that this sort of smoke and mirrors "service" is becoming mainstream. The trend seems to be to offer an endless list of important sounding "checks" yet no actual replacement of anything is done, other than perhaps a basic oil change.

I see even the official Toyota dealer network are promoting a similar nonsense service plan now.

petermcg, Aug 14, 8:16am
Some cars have a flap in the exhaust that is on a thermostat, check that.

dent, Aug 14, 10:00am
Thats because jazz you cant just go ahead replacing things other that what the customer has authorized. We do a comprehensive service including checking the air filter among other things. But will note all things we find and ring the customer befor the work is carried out. Ya cant just go replacing things willy nilly

llortmt, Aug 14, 10:17am
One of you don't know what you're talking about!

thunderbolt, Aug 14, 10:23am
Maybe OP has the year wrong, or maybe it does not have EFI and they got it right!

morrisman1, Aug 14, 10:24am
Could you not get pre-authorisation for normal service items! Or quote a price including replacement of these normal items, then if cheaper because some stuff didnt need replacing them thats bonus for customer.

llortmt, Aug 14, 10:42am
In the meantime the customer phones somewhere else and compares the price of the 'lube service there' thinks 'a service is a service' and then tells anyone who will listen 'the mechanic tried to rip me off'!
An air filter does NOT need replacement every time the oil is changed.

alphagorpat, Aug 14, 11:01am
It is registered as a '85, and does not have a conventional distributor with points - I wish it did have points, would have made problem solving a lot easier.

thunderbolt, Aug 14, 12:53pm
Ok, not EFI, electronic ignition.

Does it have the variable Venturi carb! These have many issues.

splinter67, Aug 14, 9:24pm
Im not going to your garage then

kazbanz, Aug 14, 9:34pm
Why not! -To be clear he is saying the air filter does not need replacing every 10-15000km. Yes part of a service should be remove and check the air filter but definitely only replace if dirty

kcf, Aug 14, 10:24pm
You can get 85 Starlet's with EFI, they run the 2EE engine as compared to the carb'd 2E.There are even the odd KP Starlet around that was efi too, although they're vanishingly rare.

splinter67, Aug 14, 10:43pm
What do you think an airfilter looks like after 15000ks go back to selling them not trying to fix them

alphagorpat, Aug 15, 3:59am
Could you elaborate a bit more please. Is it the big chunk of metal just below the outlet manifold!And what does one do about it (if its blocked).
Also it is definitely an '85, and it says 12 valve EFI on the side of the car. Today we took the air cleaner off (no change) and gave the exhaust train a good knock around to see if anything was loose (no change).The engine runs perfectly up until it hits 3000 rpm, then won't go any further.Just doesn't want to go past there.
Any more ideas please.!

gmphil, Aug 15, 4:16am
Air flow meter ! Does it have a box between the air filter in manifold that electrial wires go too!

alphagorpat, Aug 15, 5:13am
Don't know if I can answer this properly, but after the air filter - it goes into a Big L-shaped manifold (that has a few wires on it) and then goes into the intake manifold that is below the L-shaped one.Sorry I can't be more specific.

justcruisin, Aug 15, 9:15am
Is throttle opening up fully! What was condition of disy!