Are blue led park lights non legal

inkapuka, Aug 16, 10:05pm
:/

bitsy_boffin, Aug 16, 10:43pm
In short, you may only have white or amber light visible at the front of the vehicle, and red or amber visible at the rear (except reversing and number plate).

If your park lights are on the side, then you may get away with it if they are not substantially visible standing in front or behind the car.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof/general/lighting

alltorque350, Aug 17, 12:42am
In short. Not legal.

kingfisher21, Aug 17, 9:04am
Why is it trucks are allowed to be lit up like a frikkin christmas tree!

matthew111, Aug 17, 9:18am
amber or white to the front

thewomble1, Aug 17, 9:40am
I made inquiries the other day about a 'blue' lit badge to replace the chrome on on the grill. Was told no blue light in the front. Some people have blue lights in the washer jet unit.no no.some have blue lights fitted to wiper arms.another no no.some have blue lit tyre valve caps.another no no. Another no no is daytimerunning lights working when headlights are on.

clark20, Aug 17, 9:45am
And even the white LED replacement bulbs are illegal, they are not a complaint bulb. Of course the sellers would disagree on this point, however none have ECE approval.

nzdoug, Aug 17, 3:47pm
Flashing blue is "SNOW PLOW" is usa canada.

studio1, Aug 17, 11:48pm
I have often wondered why British ambulances have blue lights on them. I think NZ's idea of ONLY red is the best. Blue should only be used for police.
I notice in the UK they don't have red on their police cars either - only blue lights.

To answer OP's question, blue lights are NOT ALLOWED anywhere on any vehicle that is not authorised to use them.
As it stands, the only vehicles in NZ that ARE authorised to use them are those owned by the NZ Police and some government/diplomatic vehicles (and those are rarely seen).

Blue LEDs in park lights, on washer squirters, mounted on the dash or anywhere else are indeed illegal. If stopped by police you can be given a fine and also told to remove them on the spot (if the cop is having a bad day or he/she is straight out of police college).

Same goes for green LEDs - they are not legal to be used anywhere on private vehicles either. Green is only for use by doctors and medical staff on their way to a medical emergency.
It would seem that in most cases the police turn a blind eye to green lights.

philltauranga, Aug 18, 6:00am
They are not allowed to anymore, the ones you see pre-date the rule change.

headcat, Aug 18, 6:41am
And fog lights in clear weather, and fog/driving lights mounted at about six feet high on trucks, and the daylight full beam turkeys.

unbeatabull, Aug 18, 6:47am
Lights can be an interesting point. While legally everyone else is right, blue lights are illegal, or any colour for that matter.

But as far as Spot Lights/Hunting lights etc on trucks, SUV's, cars etc . they are legal AS LONG as they run off their own switch - you can have practically any amount of lights fitted to your vehicle as long as they don't protrude/pose a safety concern.

If they all run off their own seperate switch they are legal. They are ILLEGAL to use on the road though - so it comes down to law enforcement rather then WOF inspection.

clark20, Aug 18, 9:21am
The red/blue thing is beause you see red better at daytime, blue better at night. Rods and cones in your eyes for day and night.Also interesting is green for exit, as it is the last colour your eyes see before you pass out or die!

trade4us2, Aug 18, 9:31am
Some taxis have a blue sign on the roof.

inkapuka, Aug 19, 3:29am
Ok the park lights run when the main lights are on so it has a blue tinge to them

unbeatabull, Aug 19, 4:40am
Not legal. If you don't fail a WOF on it, the police will nab ya with an even bigger fine then a failed WOF inspection.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 19, 5:26am
Hmmm I wonder whether blue towing lights are technically illegal now as opposed to just not used, not that many on here would be old enough to remember them.

jmma, Aug 19, 5:29am
Yes, on the roof (o:

inkapuka, Aug 19, 8:18am
I replaced them back to original bulbs don't need to get a fine