What's more important - Power or Torque?

mcscottwgtn, Aug 12, 8:25pm
eg the difference between the Kia Soul 1.6L 95kW and 157Nm and the Skoda Yeti 1.2L 77kW and 175Nm.One has more Power and the other has more Torque.

smac, Aug 12, 8:51pm
Need to look at the revs the hp and torque are available at, and how you drive.

The 2008-2012 mondeo's are a good example. The petrol has more peak hp, the diesel way more torque, but obviously much lower in the revs. Some prefer one, some the other.

bellky, Aug 12, 9:02pm
Yep^, torque and power lower in the rev range I find more useable, which makes driving more pleasurable.

splinter67, Aug 12, 9:08pm
What a crock of $#%@ from you dont you have a rota keep reading on the internet dud one day you might learn something

smac, Aug 12, 9:13pm
Let's see if for once you two can not kill a thread.

pge, Aug 12, 9:18pm
Torque is what GETS you moving.

Power is what KEEPS you moving.

bellky, Aug 12, 9:19pm
Well I wasn't going to respond but since you've said 'you two' I'll point out that I contributed my opinion. The only thing the other did was show their 'state'.

splinter67, Aug 12, 9:28pm
Awww did I hurt your feelings didums get some real world experience then your opinion might mean something

smac, Aug 12, 9:35pm
My old RX4 was putting out somewhere around 160KW (forget exactly), but that was at about 8000rpm. My Falcon (yay I can say that now) is 195KW but with a much flatter torque curve, and the peak power is much lower in the revs.They had more or less the same peak power to weight.

The RX was great fun fanging up a hill climb keeping it over 5000rpm, but the Falcon is a waaaaay better daily drive.

So like I said, depends how you drive/what you want to use it for.

morrisman1, Aug 12, 9:35pm
oh great. This one again

The two are directly related! Power = Torque x RPM.

Unless you are going to take advantage of the gearing and rev the more powerful but less torquey engine higher then it will no doubt feel slower. The big question is how much and how flat is the torque band in your normal rev range! If its higher than the Kia's torque at those revs then guess what, the skoda is making MORE POWER at those rpm that the Kia is.

Then there is a gearbox there to slow down the rotational speed, and consequently will multiply the torque to a higher torque at the wheels. Take the distance from the wheel hub centre to the road surface and you have a magical thing called a lever arm. Divide the torque by the arm and you get raw force, raw force which is providing the thrust of the car. This force is all that matters! Different engines will achieve this in different means.

Revvy engine with little low down torque will require a higher gear ratio to multiply the torque to get the same figure as what a lazy torquey engine would need to get the same torque at the wheels and hence the argument of falcodore vs japanese.

sifty, Aug 12, 9:37pm
Porque.

bellky, Aug 12, 9:37pm
That's pretty much it right there^.