Importing a private vehicle from usa,without rhd

boat3, Sep 8, 3:42am
can you import a vehicle,like a c1500 silverado,for personal use,and avoid having to convert it to rhd,and any other traps to look out for,would prefer answers from people who have acually done this recently,cheers.

lookoutas, Sep 8, 4:54am
As I understand the rules; If it's more than 20 years old, it can stay LHD.

kcf, Sep 8, 5:27am
is it over 3500kg gvm then no, must be converted.No heavy left hand drive vehicles allowed other than things like oil drilling machinery

daryl14, Sep 8, 5:51am
C1500 is not over 3500kg GVM. I think a C2500 might be. so don't bring in a 2500.

I learned about this when researching requirements for COF for pick ups. This was up to ten years ago though. Find out from the vehicular authorities first!

kcf, Sep 8, 5:55am
oh and as per the first reply said . if it's under 20 years old, also no, uncompliable.

intrade, Sep 8, 6:00am
there is anothr rule if they only made a small number you can import it , i dont know how high the production number is but if they only made 100 then i would say it could get in doubt that these where produced in limmited numbers however

kiwisparky, Sep 8, 8:13am
if u have owned the vehicle over there for 90 days u can bring it back .but can sell the vehicle for 4 years or till its 20 years old .

lookoutas, Sep 8, 8:23pm
That's out of date now.

kcf, Sep 9, 12:08am
Not correct.

neo_psy, Sep 9, 6:46am
When did they change that! Recently!

I thought it was "owned and used" overseas! Is there a time now!

kiwisparky, Sep 9, 7:54am
ill find out about that tomorro .didnt know it had changed

tgray, Sep 9, 8:00am
wrong

kcf, Sep 9, 8:01am

You really need to not ask random's on the internet because half the replies here have been wrong or partially wrong.

Ring an entry certifier VTNZ, VINZ, AA and ask the people who do the compliance of used imported cars now, not at various times in the past.

tgray, Sep 9, 8:02am
You can import anything you like, but cannot make this road legal without RHD conversion.
Read the LTSA factsheets regarding LHD imports.

neo_psy, Sep 9, 8:30am
Oh, I'd research into it if I was doing it - I didn't realise they'd changed the rules though. Doesn't affect me personally though. Just curious.

croco1, Sep 9, 8:40am