Basic Service

Page 1 / 4
lil_mystique, Sep 12, 1:12am
$195 ! far too expensive for my budget.What do you think is a fair and reasonable price. I would think about $45 - $50.And not just a quick she be right once over.Oil change, fluids, tyres etc, to keep it in good condition but not inc spark plugs tune up and all the extras they add on to it.

motorboy2011, Sep 12, 1:15am
lol yeah right, $45-50 wont even buy the oil for a lot of cars.

ceebee2, Sep 12, 1:39am
I have seen $69.00 for a lube service only.includes oil and filter. Depends entirely what you are getting for $195.00. What is a "basic service"!My customers are clearly informed of what each service is so there is (And never has been) any confusion. Give us a detailed list of what that service is.

gadgit3, Sep 12, 1:53am
If you ran a work shop what would you pay your employees! I'll tell you what it would be well under min wadge if a "service" only cost $50 infact the employee would be paying you to work there at that price.

fordkiwi27, Sep 12, 2:01am
hahahaha

tuttyclan, Sep 12, 2:15am
At $45 to $50 you will be doing it yourself for oil and filter in a older car.

trader_84, Sep 12, 2:22am
Lol +1

trader_84, Sep 12, 2:24am
If you get them on the right day . you might get enough change to buy yourself a Big Mac Combo also.

jmma, Sep 12, 2:25am
Kaz is good at basic services, not sure what he charges though (o:

lyonruge, Sep 12, 2:28am
Our oil is 12$/lt, ave car holds around 4 lt, so theres your $50, service in my shop, ave small jap petrol car, $130-$150

trdbzr, Sep 12, 2:54am
Sorry my crystal broken is not working today. What car do you have!

lil_mystique, Sep 12, 4:09am
That is what Toyota will charge me for a service.All I need is possibly oil & filter change, fluid check I even have the power sterring fluid to put in, brakes check and tyre pressures.But not for $200 + GST.

lil_mystique, Sep 12, 4:11am
My estimate for this will take approx 1/2 hr.

gadgit3, Sep 12, 4:13am

trdbzr, Sep 12, 4:15am
Its pretty easy to do the oil and filter change yourself and to do a fluid check visually. It will be a lot easier and cheaper for you. If you can't do it yourself, then stop whinging and pay someone to do it for you. Everyone has to make a living, including mechanics.

trdbzr, Sep 12, 4:16am
Btw Manukau Toyota very recently had a special for servicing. $145 for oil and filter change. And all those prices Toyota charges INCLUDE gst.

yogibearz, Sep 12, 4:19am
Im pleased you were not a customer of mine. No wonder im pleased to out of it.

kcc55a, Sep 12, 4:21am
So it begs the question What is the list for a reasonable service of a8 year old car thats done say 100km! From what I have seen a lot of it is padded out checks ( tyre pressures, windscreen wiper level)to justify charging a bit more.

lil_mystique, Sep 12, 4:24am
Yes, thank you for your help will keep a look out for the specials.

thunderbolt, Sep 12, 4:33am
Clueless.
Why on earth would you serve a 9000 hr apprentiship to deal with expectations like that!

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 4:53am
You know it will almost never cost you $195 aye!
Its just Toyota falling to new low's by joining the "grab one" style smoke and mirrors nonsense peddlers.

What they are offering you is an oil change. The rest is just to look things over and make a list of what else you need to do, or not do and have your car suffer a possibly expensive failure.

It would be much more cost effective to pay for an oil change and then look in your owners manual to see what else is likely due yourself. Then you could put whatever is left over towards actually doing some servicing.

To their credit though, if you need a WOF at the same time its not too terrible value wise. So long as you comprehend what you are getting.

gadgit3, Sep 12, 5:35am
Nah it's not bad value Jazz. I have had to pull margin out of fluids and labour to reach that number on a few cars. It's a bigger service then you think. wheels are coming off and all.
TOYOTA DIAGNOSTIC COMPUTER health check
Inspect drive belts
Replace engine oil and Toyota Genuine oil filter
Inspect air filter element
Inspect cooling and heater system hoses
Check fluid levels (Coolant, Power steering, Brakes, Clutch
Battery check
Inspect brake pedal and parking brake
Inspect front brake pads and discs
Inspect rear brake linings, disc pads and discs/drums
Inspect brake pipes and hoses
Inspect steering wheel, linkage, rack and rubber boots
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect propeller shaft, grease and tighten bolts
Inspect wheel bearing condition
Check fluid levels - Transmission and Differential(s)
Inspect diesel filter (if applicable)
Inspect front and rear suspension components
Inspect tyre condition and pressure, torque wheels nuts
Inspect body and under body/chassis condition
Inspect electrical equipment operation (lights and wipers etc)
And then theres a Free WoF
The idea behind it is retension not get them in the door to make em spend more. we'll thats how we are using it.

lil_mystique, Sep 12, 6:23am
I understand and would pay for that, however I only want 2 or 3 items from this wonderful list.until a few weeks when I have more money available to check for a few other items on car and if need new part later that is all fine.
Replace engine oil and Toyota Genuine oil filter
Inspect air filter element
Check fluid levels - Transmission and Differential(s)
Check fluid levels (Coolant, Power steering, Brakes, Clutch
Inspect front brake pads and discs
We dont all have a spare couple of hundred in the back pocket.It would be good if a couple of things checked was acceptable, but it seem that is not the case.$45 for half an hours job!

stevo2, Sep 12, 6:37am
Oil and Genuine Toyota Filter $60. How do you expect to get all that done for $45!

zephyrheaven, Sep 12, 6:39am
Nice work gadgit - I get all that done in mine too, Ive built my service base on stealing dealerships inspection rules he he