Basic Service

Page 2 / 4
morrisman1, Sep 12, 6:43am
sounds reasonable, now add on the cost of parts and equipment. $60 for oil and filter, you are up to $105 already.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 6:50am
So. you are saying you send them out again with dirty filters, old brake fluid, worn plugs etc!

My point is simply, when is a car only going to need an oil and filter change. almost never IMO.

I do get your point though, it takes time to do all those checks and I acknowledged if you need the WOF as well then it is a good deal.

However, I stand by my preference of spending the money actually getting the mechanic to put a new filter in rather than paying the same amount of time for them to confirm its dirty.

Also. I would have a LOT less concern for this system of things if people were made more aware upfront that they really are just getting and oil change and visual checks, not scheduled replacement of items as the manufacturer intended.

Even calling it a "Service" is not right IMO, it should be "Engine Oil change and assessment of service requirements"

"Service" should be reserved for just that, a service as the manufacturer intended.

At the end of the day, I don't care what people charge or what they do and don't do. So long as the customer is aware of what they are getting and how that differs from what the manufacturer stipulates. After all the mechanic is the "professional" and there is such a thing as duty of care.

zephyrheaven, Sep 12, 6:54am
Jesus

I need another four weeks off

tnt423, Sep 12, 6:57am
Just labor for $45! or oil filter and labor+ the stuff you want inspected for $45!

johnf_456, Sep 12, 7:02am
Did you have a good break!

gadgit3, Sep 12, 7:02am
Haha yea well that's why TNZ have given us this tool (service lite) to gain back the customers from the after market but it's really aimed at the oil changes and pit stop Co'sseen as it's these guys that are calling a engine fliud change a 'service' and leaving their customers to beleave their car is all good for another 10000kms.

gadgit3, Sep 12, 7:11am
Jazz service lite is just not for you. it's aimed at people that currently under service their vehicles. Not people like you that give a dam about what the future holds for the vehicle you drive

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 7:12am
That's it in a nutshell, they have gone with "If you can't beat em join em" and sunk to their level.
In fairness Toyota techs will hopefully take the opportunity to educate their customers and explain what they are really getting.
But I still don't like it, the advertising is still misleading IMO and if anything with Toyota doing they are endorsing the practice.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 7:14am
Trust me. Toyota anything is not for me (anymore). LOL
But what about the people that would give a damn if they only knew that what they were doing was not a good course of action!

These are the ones I am worrying about, not the ones that willingly neglect their vehicles, that's fine with me if they know that's what they are doing.

fordkiwi27, Sep 12, 7:15am
$195 for that is agood deal.

zephyrheaven, Sep 12, 7:23am
Yea mate, that $69 oil change looks pretty nifty when your front pads have been spat out & your disc's are down to the vents

I guess Im old school, I buy Speights - not Double Brown

gadgit3, Sep 12, 7:24am
Jazz
It would be easyer to have a yarn aboutthis subject over a coffee as written words are not doing the job.but I think we are on the same page just your taking the book from a different libary.Is it not better that these customers are getting the service and advise from someone that gives a hoot about their car rather then the likes of pit stop where the person working on the car is trained to weld up exhaust.

zephyrheaven, Sep 12, 7:24am
Yes - a great effort by a few of the local moaning fraternity

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 7:30am
LOL, your on, I will even bring the chocolate biscuits next time I am going through with time up my sleeve if you are free.
Just look out for the proper car in the carpark. I will even wear my best anorak.

gadgit3, Sep 12, 7:35am
Lol sweet as Jazz. Just ask for gadget at the front desk and I won't be far away.

lil_mystique, Sep 12, 8:22am
Lucky me I found someone to do a regualr service checkfor $25. I will go back another time to discuss any further work or checks.It does pay to ask around first.You dont always have to pay pay pay.

morrisman1, Sep 12, 8:26am
and what do they do! Drain your old oil out and put it straight back in!

lil_mystique, Sep 12, 8:34am
.Hehehe semi retired we had a good laugh about the message board.Check brakes, tyre pressures, oil, fluids, hoses, fan belts, got all the fluids he said bring it all with ya then. I will bake a cake for his morning tea.Lol.Just an ordinary kiwi bloke no labels no b.s.

sw20, Sep 12, 8:43am
When you aren't paying tax, wages or rent on your building and you collect a gilt edged pension every week, you probably can spare half an hour to drop some oil and pour some canola back in.

gadgit3, Sep 12, 8:48am
Lol if you want a free service why bother asking a Co' with over heads . come on the employee doing the job is getting more then 20/h how can you expect a Co' to stay afloat doing freebies!

tnt423, Sep 12, 9:27am
So you only wanted a service check for $45 not a service done, but found someone to do it for $25,

franc123, Sep 12, 10:12am
$25 what a ripoff, VTNZ will do whats being asked for here for $20 IIRC.You ain't getting an actual oil and filter change for that, its not even the cost of the materials.But well done for providing an entertaining read. Be careful when treading on ice now as cheap skates tend to fall right through it.Good luck.

texastwo, Sep 12, 8:22pm
No thats the charge for dipping the oil dipstick, wiping it and reinserting it .and you can read that anyway you like.

texastwo, Sep 12, 8:26pm
All you people who quoted costs forgiot the $10 admin charge for ticking off that huge list of Service items, must take 10 mins all by itself.

kazbanz, Sep 12, 9:03pm
what do YOU do for a living! What is your hourly rate!
The stuff you are talking about takes about an hour, Then add $15 for an oil filter and a minimum of $45 for oil -thats $60 just for the parts