Vehicle Licensing Reform

petermcg, Sep 29, 8:10am
http://www.transport.govt.nz/ourwork/Land/Pages/VehicleLicensingReform-QuestionsandAnswers.aspx#wof
I would like to see a system such as this for motorhomes that only get used 2 or 3 times a year and dont cover many Ks. (as beloe)
Requiring heavy and commercial vehicle inspection based on the distance (mileage) the vehicle has travelled ,,, and also what is the weight of a truck or motorhome or camper when a COF is required at present.

motorboy2011, Sep 29, 9:28am
I'd like to see the acc part if my reg paid only one time between my 2 vehicles , as I can only drive 1 at a time

kaymay88, Sep 29, 10:55am
agree totally. It should be attached to your licence, and renewed yearly. more tickets/offences/accidents, and your personal cost goes up.

We have three vehicles. two bikes and a car, I cant ride/drive all them at once

franc123, Sep 29, 12:04pm
Pity that nothings going to happen with this until Govt works out how they're going to lever the current amount out of revenue out of the public to fill the bottomless ACC pit. A 30c petrol tax on top of already excessive fuel prices is unpalatable to the public, applying a fairer system as per above is unpalatable to them. No surprise that the licensing part of the reform has been shelved before its even got put out for public consultation.

sandypheet, Sep 29, 6:34pm
This whole reform deal is purely to catch votes in 2014 when it will be implimented

universal48, Oct 3, 3:25am
What about if 3rd Party Insurance was made compulsory! This would then mean each driver/rider would have a relationship with an insurer who could then 'levy' them for ACC according to their individual risk profile.So, if you have a poor history, you pay more; a good clean history, you pay less. Relatively simple and means good are not cross-subsidising bad doesn't it!

shaun16, Oct 3, 4:02am
acc/car licencing should be on petrol. user pays. if you do lots of k's you pay more for acc as youre more likely to be in an accident. if you go to the shops once a week and thats all you pay less acc as less chance of being in an accident.