Crummydore V6 running rich, ruff

sfw4, Oct 18, 8:45am
Hi Gents. I know you all get sick of 'V6 not running properly' threads. Has anyone had problem with 3.8 V6 running rich and ruff! I know there are 100 sensors to go thru. Ive started with plugs& leads but no joy. About to buy 6new fuel injectors from Aus. Also has anyone had problem with Coil pack! cheers

sfw4, Oct 18, 8:46am
Yes i will takle it in and get it put on the Tester. but would like to try eliminate the least obvious first. cheers

howz_that, Oct 18, 8:50am
what model! supercharged!

sfw4, Oct 18, 8:53am
its only the 93 VP model. series 2. great in other places just running rich and ruff. my pick is the injectors. done 310k kms

treachug, Oct 18, 8:53am
Try the coolant temp sensor before buying injectors. Around $25-30 at your local Holden dealer. Amoungst other jobs it tells the ECU if the water is cold so richen it up (like a choke). It also operates the engine cooling fan. Part number 92017805.
310kms ! Check Intake manifold gaskets leaking, oxy sensor as well.

NZTools, Oct 18, 8:59am
Start with the basics. The ecu relies on several things to determine how much fuel to inject. (the injectors only do what they are told by the ecu) if the ecu is getting the wrong info, it wont be able to tel what is the correct fuel mixture.
The most common problem (and the cheapest) is the coolant temp sensor. (not the one for the temp gauge, but the one that tells the ecu how cold the engine is, so it can ajust the fuel mixture.
If it is telling the ecu that the coolant is -15 degrees when it is actually +60 degrees, it will run rich, and rough.

sfw4, Oct 18, 8:59am
I couldnt find the O2 sensor. is it located in the exhaust for those old 93 models!

NZTools, Oct 18, 9:00am
And dont just go replacing expensive items unless you KNOW they are faulty.

sfw4, Oct 18, 9:00am
Hey great feedback cheers. Im taking it ALL in.
thanks

sfw4, Oct 18, 9:02am
Is the coolant temp sensor under the alternator! im sure i seen a sensor there.
It came to a situation that i was cranking it over and it was trying to start but wouldnt. I could hear some cylinders firing up.

sfw4, Oct 18, 9:05am
brand new petrol pump and petrol filter done 3months ago

treachug, Oct 18, 9:23am
Yes, below alternator, square blue plug, sits beside single wire temp guage sender

dave653, Oct 18, 8:34pm
I've been told only Aussie models have the O2 sensor, ours does, left side below the manifold ('90 S1)
If you do have one, price around cause the prices differ a hell of a lot! I was quoted between $98 and $308. for the same thing!