Pulsar CV clickety-click.

mm12345, Oct 16, 4:40am
Our old dray '97 pulsar, >200,000km is making a clickety click CV sound, at wheel rotation speed - not loud, but I notice it.Problem is it's only making the noise with steering straight ahead under very light acceleration.I pulled it to bits this morning, incl. replacing perished steering rack boots and pulling/refitting the noisy axle, but everything seemed okay, bearings, brakes, all ball joints good as gold. (yes - I checked for something stuck in tyres, and the wheel nuts weren't loose).I did replace outer CV boots a couple of years ago, but if outer CVs were the problem, I'd have expected the noise when turning - but it's dead quiet.Could a failing inner CV cause this symptom!Any other suggestions!

intrade, Oct 16, 4:53am
hard to say did you check the shaft for rotational play !

mm12345, Oct 16, 5:06am
Only by grabbing each end and twisting, rotating the CVs, extending, everything seemed tight/smooth/good.I can't get a sound out of it rotating the wheel and turning lock to lock (while the disk was off).
If it was the car I used, then I think I'd forgetaboutit - deal to it only if it gets worse, but I'm not the usual driver, and stuff like that makes me a bit nervous.

intrade, Oct 16, 5:37am
rotate the shaft with wheel on ground to find play and then jack the wheel up and rotate it again to check the inner joint. Do you get what i mean!

intrade, Oct 16, 5:46am
knocking noises also sometimes come from brake pads when the anti rattle spring is broken for example that be more like nock nock noise intermittend

mm12345, Oct 16, 6:37am
^^^
Yep I think I get what you mean.I'm thinking the CVs are okay.
It could be just the brake pads - I've still got the springs in (god knows how I haven't lost the little swines - they've got a knack of flying off into the distance when you least expect), but they're still a bit rattly.
The disks are new-ish.These cars (CJ1 Pulsar) are severely under-braked, small disks, auto trans, but they seat 5.The old disks ended up with radial cracks across the face from overheating - this from normal runabout use on hilly terrain, not laps of some track.