Panel beaters or Buy a second hand door?

Page 1 / 2
nzman89, Oct 13, 3:05am
Hi, I have a NISSANPULSAR1996SERIE X1, it has a big scratch on the passenger door. To repair it, will be around $900 would I better off repairing or finding a new door! thanks

edangus, Oct 13, 3:10am
Just pencil it. It is but a mere scratch.

nzman89, Oct 13, 3:12am
its pretty major really, i mean its not tiny haha

nzfatie, Oct 13, 3:14am
A very common model, just get another door shell in the same colour and swap the internal parts over.

mrsscubasteve, Oct 13, 3:14am
meh. My car is full of those, I just bog it up and paint over.

n1smo_gtir, Oct 13, 3:14am
Get a 2nd hand. Be quite bit cheaper if you know Hw to swap it over.

edangus, Oct 13, 3:15am
Wait till you go to sell it. Its a 16yr old car, its expected to have some decent battlescars. Shows character.

nzman89, Oct 13, 3:16am
its only done 50,000 km where would I find a door panel for it!

mm12345, Oct 13, 3:21am
I can't see even the greediest wrecker asking $900 for a door.
My guess would be about $250, or less if you can find someone parting one out on Trademe.Probably doesn't need to be an "X1", just find one the right colour and swap the interior trim over (you'll probably need to get the trim off anyway to disconnect the power window/central locking wires.

babcorp, Oct 13, 3:21am
Where would you get parts from wrecked cars from. hmmmm I know the answer to this question.just can't quite remember.

jason18, Oct 13, 3:21am
Hey mate, Trademe search it. There is a hell of a lot of wreckers up in aucks that will have what you need. Also what colour is car and has it dented as well or jut a scratch!

nzman89, Oct 13, 3:23am
It's slightly dented, it's just scratched really, its like a metallic grey colour

rob_man, Oct 13, 3:28am
Who quoted $900! sounds a bit steep.

edangus, Oct 13, 3:29am
That would be an understatement - freakin robber be more accurate.

rob_man, Oct 13, 3:43am
Sounds like something I would do for about $250, any chance of a photo!

jason18, Oct 13, 3:43am
Yeah you could shop around for just a bog/touch up rough old paint and spray over. Probably get it done $300-400 mark

nzman89, Oct 13, 4:35am
that is the cheapest I have had 900 between 2500! lol

edangus, Oct 13, 4:37am
That is terrible.

hatchback, Oct 13, 4:44am
Pick a part door about $80, fitting about 1hr $70.hopefully you can find the same colour.$900 is obscene

a.woodrow, Oct 13, 5:38am
Is it really just a scratch on one door! can you post a picture

lookoutas, Oct 13, 5:40am
Must have been marcos :-)

johnf_456, Oct 13, 5:42am
I smell self promotion / advertising

gunhand, Oct 13, 5:43am
$900! sounds alot but if you break it down it may not be that bad.
I havent seen the scratch/dent but in my experince many door length scratches have a rather large but shallow dent as well.
So depending on your panelbeater it may go somethig like this.
Remove trim, 15mins,$20
Acsess from inside and dress damaged area 15mins, $20
rough outer panel up and fill with filler
wait for filler to dry off and rough into shape then refill and block, 60mins $80
Prime up area mask off first 15mins, $20
Re block area with lighter grade paper and check for straightness (assuming some actually do that these days) and final prime 45mins, $60
Final sand door with block or sander 15 mins, $20
Now if you a good painter you will blend front door and rear gaurd.
So you prep those areas 30mins, $40
Mask all areas and cover rest of car.60mins,$80
Dust off then wax and grease all areas and tack off. 15mins, $20
Now paint it, charge rates differ but ill go with high end of $300 per panel.
So $300 for door and say $160 for the blend.
Now again if your a good painter you will polish it.
So de nib and fine sand all areas 45mins $60
Polish it all 60mins $80
Unmask and refit trim and wash up car 60mins $80.
So all that adds up to $1090 plus GST.

Now some thing will take longer and some less as its alwaysunkown what you will find and how easy it all goes.
Thats working on $80 and hour, not sure what average rate but $80 may be about right in some places.
And the time are rounded up as Im sure thats what happens anyway.

OR, you could rough it up fill it up rough it up with 36 grit prime and paint just the door and hope it all looks good.till it leaves the shop.

But I reckon $700 with out seeing it would be a more realistic price if hourly rate was lower. And if it is just a minor scratch that is all just paint work as such it could still be up to $540 plus GST.
Depnds if you want your to look nice and new again or have a different colour door (after its been painted) and full of scratches and ripply.

Of course some will say awww, that bit took to long or thats to dear but Ive seen some work from some panel and paint shops and thats why there cheap at times, cut corners etc and hope customer dosnt see the faults (and many dont)

a.woodrow, Oct 13, 5:43am
Maybe you just forgot to shower

lookoutas, Oct 13, 5:53am
I was gunna suggest adding it all up "gun" - Sorry "hand" - john's around!
But I wasn't about to waste that much time breaking it down. The price has just gone up.
$80/hour! I know that's what painters get!