Battery problem

trogedon, Oct 11, 6:45am
Our Nissan gets used maybe once a week. It starts first time everytime. The other day (after not using it for a week or so) the central locking didn't unlock the other doors. The lights wouldn't come on. Battery I thought. I've had it on charge for two days but its not charging. Its dead right and I need another one!

beart0y, Oct 11, 6:48am
Just replace it. Modern units hate being flattened to zilch.

gammelvind, Oct 11, 6:49am
Yup no doubt one of the cells has died and time now for a new battery.

gmphil, Oct 11, 7:21am
Havnt forgotten to switch charger on at the wall ! Otherwise yup she a had it

panicky, Oct 11, 7:49am
Has the battery got enough residual voltage to allow the battery charger to realize it is connected!A lot of smart chargers need 6V minimum and you may need to jump start the charging with another battery to get it to put voltage into the battery.Also a calcium battery in a deeply discharged state will need to go onto a calcium charger to give a full charge

trogedon, Oct 11, 7:50am
I remembered.but I'm sure some have forgotten!
I'm fine with getting a new battery - its just the paying for it I find hard.

trogedon, Oct 11, 7:50am
Interesting. The charger is like me - neither of us are smart.

gmphil, Oct 11, 7:52am
Yup ive done it lol

morrisman1, Oct 11, 8:27am
if you are storing the vehicle its a good idea to either splash out on a smart charger or to get a dumb trickle charger and a 24 hour timer. Set it to an hour or two per day to maintain a good charge without overcharging the battery

ceebee2, Oct 12, 5:47am
Go one better and buy a smart charger from Repco for $90.00 (1600ma) one. Plug in and forget.auto charges and keeps battery topped up. You can mount it on the garage wall with permanent leads to the battery.simply unplug and drive off.

rsr72, Oct 12, 5:52am
If buying a Smart charger go for a slightly more powerful model.
The lower amp ones can take forever to charge a car battery.