VP Commie V6 timing out? cant be, Help please

hatchback, Oct 21, 3:11am
Ok long story, VP V6 almost 300ks was running perfectly, then started to get alittle hard to start, misfired then started on 5cyl then got onto six. Still run perfectly when warm but then just would not start so, I changed coilpack from one of my other commies, nothing, changed ecu condition unkown, nothing, new crank angle sensor, nothing. Walked away from it for a couple of weeks then it started on 5 and then got onto six. Got worse again and now sounds like a red six with the dissy in 180deg out. Wants to fire, small back fires out the tail and then big back fire out through the inlet, blew the top of air box off.maybe another ecu!.help I want my ever so cool VP Calias back. Any help much apreciated

howz_that, Oct 21, 4:29am
Burnt valves!

franc123, Oct 21, 4:40am
And the condition of the HT leads is.! Methinks you've missed what the original problem was and perhaps created a new one. Changing crank angle sensors on those isn't really a job for those that don't know what they are doing, they need to be set up correctly or they don't run right. The other thing you should be checking, or getting checked is the fuel pressure and fuel quantity. The pumps often start to die through exhaustion from pumping fuel through blocked filters that should have been changed years ago.

hatchback, Oct 21, 4:53am
Crank angle sensor is all good, have done these before with sucess and it has started recently since it was done and run on six cylinders, even drove it up and down the road, but will change the pump and filters.

hatchback, Oct 21, 6:28pm
Any more thoughts people.

therafter1, Oct 21, 7:18pm
# 3 has probably already covered the most likely causes. The KISS principle applies, have you checked leads and coil packs, how long is it since the fuel filter has been replaced.

Electric full flow fuel pumps do not like blocked filters and do not take very long to fail when the filter is partially or fully blocked.

blackdotlova, Oct 21, 8:30pm
My 2000 vt and 2004 vy where the same under the coils pug with 6mm! bolt was loose took it out and very gently clean the row of fine tooth pins never had problem again

gmphil, Oct 21, 9:04pm
Bout 5 year ago score a deregd wagon same problem was 4cyl converted ran after convertion had oil leak was stuck in shop got back had prob sat round wnt deregd i scored for box piss ,i pissed around and in end wonder if timing out! Never sorted

Be intrest to now please post wot when u sort

hatchback, Oct 21, 9:15pm
Thanks people, will try all of those things. Filter, pump, electrical connections etc

beart0y, Oct 21, 9:20pm
Low fuel pressure.

hatchback, Oct 22, 5:50am
mmm.cant hear the pump so will look there next

kingfisher21, Oct 22, 6:38am
Did you change the coil pack complete with the ignitor underneath!

howz_that, Oct 22, 7:59am
Check the relay for the fuel pump in the underbonnet fuse box. I think you can change it for one of the headlight relays to try it.

alan1111, Oct 22, 8:04am
Fuel pump relay i picking had 1 do this to me about 5 years ago.

hatchback, Oct 22, 8:23am
Yes did change the whole thing, undid the three small nuts and swaped over

Will look into the fuel pump relay, have a few spare ones here

spudfarmer, Oct 22, 8:46am
try water temp sensor

dent, Oct 22, 7:32pm
I had a simillar problem with one of these. It was a faulty fuel pressure regulator. It was stuck closed and the fuel pressure was building up then the pump would shut off. Just remove the fuel return line from the regulator and check for fuel returning to the tank.

chebry, Oct 22, 7:35pm
Fuel pump is a service item every 100k yours may not have made it that far

strobo, Oct 23, 5:25pm
The MAP sensor on the firewall passengers side in the engine bayhas vacuum hose that connects to rear of throttle body.To quick testdisconnect that hose while engine running ," should run rich with black smoke" if no change then replacethis item a symptomatic problem to what OP describes too worth checking. a crook one will make the motor hard start , when runningruns like a bag of arssssssholes.

strobo, Oct 23, 5:25pm
The MAP sensor on the firewall passengers side in the engine bayrectangular in shape with2 phillips screwshas vacuum hose that connects to rear of throttle body.To quick testdisconnect that hose while engine running ," should run rich with black smoke" if no change then replacethis item ,also check for split or disconnected hoses too. A symptomatic problem to what OP describes too worth checking. a crook one will make the motor hard start , when runningruns like a bag of arssssssholes.

strobo, Oct 23, 5:53pm
code 33 or 34 for MAP sensor with OBD .
OP can do a quick OBD check without a scan tool. Look online or from a workshop manualhow to do this ifu don't know how . I'm pretty sure sometimes this sensor will not not show up as a fault when in fact can be faulty!. been through this before a couple a years ago, but is a cheap and easy item to replace regardless

hatchback, Oct 23, 6:45pm
Thanks Stobo, whats OBD.did petrol filter yesterday and changed coil pack once again. Wants to start but still getting small back fires out back and occasional back fire out inlet, Did notice a bad wire on the coilpack plug. Will go to pick a part and get another plug and part loom and replace.

ozz1, Oct 27, 2:06am
have seen two .fault as stated.but.was.uncom-
mon problem.wiring loomrubsands shorts out 2 injector wires.causing incorrect injector signal.sorry but going from memory. problem area was.! thru firewall.some onemay have struck thisbefore.!but in stating this. they are shit injectorsalso.