Speeding through road works

Page 1 / 3
rpvr, Oct 27, 10:49pm
This morning I drove through Glenfield Road on Auckland's North Shore, and there is an area of long standing road works, a major road widening project. AsI approached there was a huge illuminated sign saying 30k, and another one giving my speed as 40k and saying "slow down". Impossible to miss. I slowed down and was immediately passed by a young woman in a Porse Childcare vehicle, accelerating hard and giving me a dirty look. In 200m or so of road works I was passed by 12 vehicles, all accelerating hard on the uphill grade and all in my estimation doing in excess of 50kph. My point is that the signs were impossible to miss, therefore all of these drivers simply chose to ignore the posted limit. I would say the drivers represented all age groups. So is this NZ drivers' mindset now, just ignore speed limits when it doesn't suit you!

chebry, Oct 27, 10:51pm
Im surprised the revenuers havent set up a collection point along it sound like a good spot.

msj23, Oct 27, 10:56pm
Thats the classic kiwi mindset - "i will go as fast as i can and go f**k yourself if you don't like it"

zephyrheaven, Oct 27, 11:26pm
To put in a little context from Chch (you can only imagine the amount of road works & non works in this place) the Moorhouse overbridge has been 30k limited since it was opened a few months post Feb quake - I only ever see people going 30 over it when they recognise a cop - bloody funny when they miss a mufti following them. Agree speeding thru some road works is insane & dangerous, but weekends where there is no seal repair work happening! Hmm

meathead_timaru, Oct 27, 11:39pm
Perhaps they live local and realise there is no actual hazard there at midday on a Sunday.

rpvr, Oct 27, 11:58pm
The work is actually on the widening at the moment, and there are workers stepping in and out of the cones which line the actual existing roadway. And yes, there were a few contractors in their orange vests who had chosen to work on a Sunday morning.

n1smo_gtir, Oct 28, 12:23am
i was going through desert rd, SH1heading north and there was a road works with 30k sign. 50m prior to entering the temporary roadworks, my valentine radar went spastic so i dropped and sat at 25-30k on the needle. this idiot in a flash landrover kept tooting and flashing full beam behind me so being a courteous driver, i pulled to the left and let him pass, he gunned for it. right from 30-80kmph. as i got to the top of the hill, there's mr flash on the left hand shoulder with state highway patrol behind him with red and blue flashing. i could see the 5-0 standing by his window and pointing to the direction of the sign. gave him a toot. hahaha

msigg, Oct 28, 1:09am
Yea we that comes from workers leaving road signs out too long and not considering the motoring public. What goes around comes around.Do our great leaders of the country obey all things, I don't think so.

moosie_21, Oct 28, 1:11am
lol, awesome, love it when that happens

rpvr, Oct 28, 3:05am
If signs are left out on days when not much work is in progress (i.e Sundays) it's often because excessive speed can damage the new seal. I have no sympathy for people caught under these circumstances. Damage to new seal means more money out of the taxpayers/ratepayers pockets.

rpvr, Oct 28, 3:06am
I would think that would be instant loss of licence for 28 days.hope so, anyhow

smac, Oct 28, 3:17am
The flip side of it though is when the muppets leave the signs in place even though the work (and loose metal) is long gone. Or they have a 30 sign when the only work is some fresh seal on potholes not even in the driving line. Both those things seem more common around here than people speeding through actual works.

bmc460, Oct 28, 3:24am
Going through road works south of dunedin doing 30 kays,had a kenworth come up behind my car then hed stick jake brake on then speed up behind mw again.I just stuck at 30 then got to 100 kays again i left im behind.When i got home i rung up his boss as it was a local transport.Found out later he was a young feller with a new heavy traffic licence so hope hes learn't.

supernova2, Oct 28, 3:26am
many years ago I was employed by the MOW (note I didn't say worked!)Anyway there is a reason for the spped restrictions and apart from worker safety its mainly to do with construction of the road.AFAIK going through road works at 100k or so is instant loss of licence as it is well in excess of the % over the limit.The more idiots that have to walk the better in my opinion.

n1smo_gtir, Oct 28, 3:36am
it would be if the officer hasn't reached his quota n is doing his job properly. Didn't stop n wait to see. He was the only plonker that raced off the cars behind him followed me.

n1smo_gtir, Oct 28, 3:41am
not to mention the amount of damage the stone chips do to your paintjob n windscreen too.

ceebee2, Oct 28, 4:17am
I vividly recall attending road crashes with carnage around and very few motorists checking their speed naturally. Extremely dangerous working on any road in any situation. I really feel for all road workers who are blatantly disregarded by a minority of senseless idiots (Young and old) who think they are bulletproof in a tintops but do not realise it is someones loved one out there dicing with death. (PS - And I was not a Cop)

supernova2, Oct 28, 4:32am
And what;s worse apart from the speed is their total inability to watch where they are going as opposed to watching the side show.

johnf_456, Oct 28, 4:41am
Nothing Like karma, i love it.

sparkyz, Oct 28, 6:05am
The other one is when you slow down to 20kph to pass a bus with SCHOOL signs. I have been honked at, passed, lights flashed at, and even had one plonker pass between me and the bus.

extrayda, Oct 28, 6:16am
Went through there today, hard to miss the huge sign.
Slowed down to 30k.
However, even at that slow speed, there were absolutely no workmen there, no vehicles doing anything.Seems a bit of a waste of time.

r15, Oct 28, 6:20am
I generally ignore 30 signs unless I can see workers.

If they took signs away when work is complete or increased speeds as suitable less people would ignore the signs when there is something to slow down for.

eajo1mbwass, Oct 28, 6:27am
north western motor way no one slows down for the road works , poor guys working on the side of the road , i drive a truck trailer threw there all the time get passed or two finger salute light flashing horn blowing , how would they feel if it was one of thier family who got hurt or killed by clown like them speeding threw there they would want blood , have same problem with school buses they do not care not my kids on that bus they say cops should hit this so much harder

gedo1, Oct 28, 7:16am
Went through there today and. lo and behold. a speed camera in the road works site!I know I was doing the 70kph but no one else was! Was still there when I went back the other way 4 hours later.Wow, they musta cleaned up a mint in there!

rpvr, Oct 28, 7:22am
Really! So in the few seconds as you approach the site, you can a: ascertain that there are no workers on the entire site, and b: evaluate the condition of the road, how fresh the new seal is, and whether there are any other hazards on site such as unsealed patches, etc, which may require a reduced speed limit! Tui, anyone! Hope you are caught soon, you are a menace to other road users.