Nissan Safari camber out

Page 1 / 3
shane191, Oct 31, 8:25am
Mrs took her Safari in for a wheel alignment today and they told her they couldn't do it as the front hubs were stuffed. I'm not sure what they meant but looking at the printout the camber is well out.How is the camber adjusted! Do i need new parts where the ball at the end of axle of into the hub! thanks

intrade, Oct 31, 8:27am
means you got play on your wheel bearing or supportif ball-joints.

NZTools, Oct 31, 8:30am
There are tapered roller bearings at the top and the bottom of the ball, which are basicly kingpin bearings. Either they are stuffed, or your wheel bearings are stuffed.

shane191, Oct 31, 8:33am
got a new wof a couple of weeks ago. I jacked it up and without a bar a cant feel any movement

NZTools, Oct 31, 8:36am
That doesnt mean the bearings arent stuffed.
If there is camber, it had to come from somewhere., and short of a bent axle, there are only those to areas it can come from.

tnt423, Oct 31, 8:57am
The balls could be bent, does it get used offroad! if the king pins or wheel bearings had play you would be able to tell, can't adjust the camber in them.

tnt423, Oct 31, 8:57am
The balls could be bent, seen it happen a few times does it get used offroad! If the king pins or wheel bearings had play you would be able to tell, is it one side or both! the housing could be bent! something is bent or worn out there is only a few thing that it could be.

shane191, Oct 31, 9:00am
ok thanks for your help, Are the kingpin bearings hard to replace!

shane191, Oct 31, 9:01am
Don't know its history. Our main use for it is pulling the horse float.

tnt423, Oct 31, 9:03am
Not hard if you have the right tools.

tnt423, Oct 31, 9:08am
Ok so is it pretty much factory! I got my bearing and seal kit from onlineautoparts.com.au was quite a bit cheaper than over here.

mechnificent, Oct 31, 9:11am
The kingpins would have to have play to upset the camber. sounds like you've done too many jumps in it to me and bent the axle just in from the ball.

The kingpins have an adjustment, either you pull a shim or you put one in. Easy to do the adjustment, to change the bearings though you will probably have to take the hub and axle right out to get the bearings out.

kingfisher21, Oct 31, 9:19am
You can't adjust the camber at all, it will have a bent front diff housing, more than likely at the narrowest part just by the swivel balls, new or good 2nd hand housing is the only fix.

mm12345, Oct 31, 10:05am
Official advice from Nissan factory service manual:
Spec for camber is 0 - 1 deg.The only comment after that is "If measured value is not within above range, replace front axle case". (as kingfisher also states above)

Get expert advice.At a long shot, slight camber misalignment might be able to be corrected using offset kingpin bearings.Some instructions etc here:
http://safetsteer.com.au/portal/portal/content/view/89/141/
Which also gives you an idea of what's involved in (normal) kingpin bearing replacement if that's all you need.I think you can get a (standard) kit at BNT.I have a factory service manual pdf for GQ/Y60 here if you need it.

$64k questions are what were the symptoms (and what did the alignment shop measure)!.If it was way out of whack, then it would probably drive badly, chew tyres, and if the diff housing was bent, then the axle will have been offset, chewing out the inner oil seal, and you'd eventually be leaving a trail of diff oil on the road, or a combination of all or any three of the above.

If no symptoms, then a second opinion is needed.

msigg, Oct 31, 6:01pm
I thought you could adjust or add shims somewhere. Would have to be way out to warrant repairs.

mm12345, Oct 31, 7:00pm
I don't think so - there's various ways to adjust castor (needed when lifting suspension), but not camber.
Unless perhaps in case of slightly bent diff housing it's possible to use offset kingpin bearings in combination with shims to try and get the axle centered in the housing - but it gives me a headache thinking about if this could actually work and how you'd do it.
I think the OP needs to consider the situation, if the truck is steering okay and tyres aren't getting uneven wear, then perhaps just get the toe in set (the link I gave in the post above - safesteer - is wrong stating 2mm toe-out - it should be set with 1-2mm toe in).
If the steering is stuffed etc, and camber is definitely out, then I'd be taking it to a good 4WD shop for advice.

rob_man, Oct 31, 7:06pm
There are kits for Landcruisers which add camber to stop that tendency they have of wearing the outside of the front left tyre. Nothing for Nissans!

mm12345, Oct 31, 7:11pm
Yes - as in the link I gave above (one option)
http://safetsteer.com.au/portal/portal/content/view/89/141/
discusses this.

rob_man, Oct 31, 7:23pm
The method I heard about involved inserting a ring behind the hub carrier which had the faces at an angle.

mm12345, Oct 31, 7:37pm
I dunno - I never heard of it - but that doesn't mean much. Googled and there was a Safari diff housing for sale on TM a while ago, where someone had cut the ball ends off and welded them back at an angle to allow for a 3" lift. Lord knows what's possible (or safe) if you're determined enough.

zephyrheaven, Nov 1, 5:42am
Be careful of the inner seal (the most critical) quality on el cheapo axle kits - last 5 minutes usually. Buy a cheapo kit & a Nissan or Toyota branded inner seal is the way to go

zephyrheaven, Nov 1, 5:43am
How would going higher on a solid axle make the camber worse for the OP - Castor however - yes indeed - or flip arms etc LOL

mm12345, Nov 1, 6:03am
I expect this would have been an attempt to correct castor.Might have worked - and I'd really trust it - at speeds below 5km/h, on a flat paddock.

OP seems to have disappeared - probably died of shock after phoning his local Nissan parts shop for a price on a new front diff housing.

tnt423, Nov 1, 6:20am
The cheap inner seals have held up pretty well (lasted a lot longer than I thought), been in a year now no sign of leaking, going to change them in a few weeks to genuine when I put a air locker in.

shane191, Nov 1, 6:48am
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Called in at garage today and jacked front up, The only movement was a wee bit a play in one of the front bearings.
I got advicethat i could take a shim out of the top kingpin bearing!
The truck drives fine just got bad inside tyre wear ie most tread gone and rest of tyre is still like new.