Looking for a new vehicle

escapees, Nov 7, 2:31am
have approx $6000 to spend. Mechanic told us not to touch any that have CVT Transmission. What type doesnt! any ideas.

lazzo, Nov 7, 2:40am
There is HEAPS available out there in the price range, but I shouldn't think anyone could make any recommendations without knowing your circumstances and requirements. As far as CVT goes, there is nothing wrong with CVT transmissions, people just don't understand the technology and of course it's human nature to steer away from something you're unfamiliar with.

kazbanz, Nov 7, 2:55am
A tiny bit more information woud really be usefull.
Commuter car,long distance travel car,Kid carrier! -on the basis of its main use we can most likely offer some advice.

tgray, Nov 7, 3:55am
lazzo wrote:
As far as CVT goes, there is nothing wrong with CVT transmissions
I would listen to your mechanic.

escapees, Nov 7, 4:09am
looking at a 2004 Nissan Pulsar, 1800cc, 180000 or so on clock. $5995. Would love an SUV but think something reliable, not too thirsty but still with some room. Just been burned majorly with a Renic Scenic (such a lovely car though! but transmission needs 3-4000 spending on it but dont want to put anymore in the money pit) so back to the basics.

r15, Nov 7, 5:30am
off topic but.
where are all the people in japanese cars with $3000-$4000 gearbox bills!

bmwnz, Nov 7, 5:37am
I've now had 3 cars with CVT. Never had any failures at all. That said, in the 60 plus cars I've had in the past, none have broken down. I just don't know where people get the idea that cars are unreliable and troublesome. Old bombs (20+ years old) might be, but if you buy those cars, you know what to expect and you're probably a home mechanic anyway.

clark20, Nov 7, 8:18am
Don't know about that, guy at work spent $8000 fixing a BMW 2006 525 geabox

kazbanz, Nov 7, 5:55pm
pick me- Mitzi lancer cedia,Toyota estima are two that i remember clearly.
The estima I genuinely think was operator error.The cedia is known for it.
Plus I have traded a couple of primera's with receipts for gearbox work