Caravan Experts

Page 1 / 2
clairen, Nov 15, 8:29pm
When looking at caravans to buy and do up what do you need to make sure is in good condition.eg no rust but what else.Dont want to find i have to pay loads of money to fix something major

pnp, Nov 15, 8:40pm
Chassis / structural rust & leaks. Not really a lot else to worry about that can't be fixed easily.Electrical & mechanical warrants are just routine maintenance issues

muzzaandmich, Nov 15, 8:51pm
Contact the nz caravan clublots of compliance for self compliance freedom parkingwaste water and toilets ect.

clairen, Nov 16, 12:30am
Thanks guys.Dont think we will be freedom camping but i will check it out anyway.

skydog, Nov 16, 8:11am
Go and inspect the caravan when its raining and check for leaks and damp

kingfisher21, Nov 16, 9:40am
Just DON'T buy an English made caravan whatever you do.

thewomble1, Nov 16, 11:50am
Irish caravans are worse because they are full of leeks.

gedo1, Nov 16, 6:17pm
Why not!

robbief, Nov 16, 8:01pm
keep clear of trail-lite a family bus one tells lies and the rest back him.two of us know this.

kdcentralni, Nov 16, 10:16pm
Go as large as you can (tow and store at home), buy NZ made, go for most berths you can, 3 way fridge, clean chassis, recent newish paint, hot water, chemical toilet, tv, creature comforts.

mrfxit, Nov 16, 10:19pm
Make sure you have a DEEP & FULL wallet ^ ^ ^ ^

matarautrader, Nov 17, 1:41am
After owning several NZ made camper trailers, then American camper trailers we have moved up to an English caravan. Its great. Great inside , has all the bells and whistles, is double insulated and is a dream to tow. Yes like all things some do have problems but if you say that English caravans are not good, does that mean that if you have a problem with a Toyota then all Japanese vehicles are no good!

kingfisher21, Nov 17, 2:41am
Just wait till your insulated English heap of junk starts leaking and then falls apart before your eyes, have a look underneath it at their so called attempt at a chassis. They are made of mostly packing crate 2 ply junk wood with polystyrene sandwiched between it.

gypsypom, Nov 17, 3:14am
If you dont know what to look for dont do up caravans, try something else

monaro17, Nov 17, 3:41am
Absolutely spot on. The English caravans have no decent chassis at all. There are 2 main 'C' section runners that run down the van with no outriggers what-so-ever. Also, notice that the parking jacks are screwed to the ply wood floor in many models and this needs no explanation as to why the floors buckle and break. They are mass produced and have little structural integrity. Inside the story isn't much better. The initial wow factor soon wears off when you see the cabinetry- not even real wood-its just cheap composite rubbish. Open a cupboard and see the "structure" flex. The reason why the NZ market is flooded with these sub standard vans is because no English insurance company will insure them after they turn 10 years old.- doesn't this say it all. Stick to Australian and especially New Zealand made caravans (you do get what you pay for with caravans I'm afraid)

gedo1, Nov 17, 5:08am
This is interesting and unbelievably timely. My brother-in-law in England is a journalist - basically on investigative stuff.His current project is the camping resurgence in Europe; the manufacturer of caravans and what is available.He has asked us about the caravans which are exported to New Zealand where, he has heard, they are highly sought after.All we can tell him form personal knowledge is that camping is also in resurgence here as it always is on time of economic depression but he would like to know how the English caravans stand up to our conditions.He is only interested in factual details, details, names, types, common problems etc, any damage, anything that can be substantiated as well as owner's comments good and bad.He is definitely not interested in anecdotal second hand or third hand comments.If the two posters in here can give details we can follow up.Looking forward to all the good and bad stuff.

monaro17, Nov 17, 6:12am
A few common problems pop to mind. Firstly, their less than impressive resilience to our UV conditions. Look around at a few examples that have been in NZ for 5 or so years and you will see that the exteriors have gone all yellow and brittle. Also, until recently (2009 ish) most UK caravan manufacturers used NON marine ply flooring which has caused numerous issues with the salt on UK roads- then they get imported here with compromised structures. Also, the windows on British vans have caused problems here too. Firstly- they are not double glazed windows as they are pitched. Double glazing is where two sheets of glass are separated by a sealed system of inert gases. -NOT two sheets of plastic with a gap with standard air. The problems with these windows are firstly the lack of UV treatment which causes them to "web" and crack. Secondly in some examples, when towing the wind resistance pushes the front window layers together causing rubbing and in turn marking.

gedo1, Nov 17, 6:37am
Can you quote me actual incidents and events rather than this collection of possibles!They seem to be anecdotal rather than supported by facts.Need more, but, thanks for your efforts.By the way my journalist bro in law will want quotable details.He is going to ask also if any of the contributors have an interest in caravans in NZ either by sales, manufacture, or has owned and used various types that have proven to be either good or alternatively less than satisfactory.Caravan years,names, and models too if possible.I have forwarded your above stuff without comment for him to check over there.Cheers.Any one else!

monaro17, Nov 17, 6:43am
I'm afraid I don't have that sort of "evidence". Just many many years of caravaning experiences, coming across many fellow campers and caravan dealers who have had personal bad experiences or have had friends who have had- fact. If you are after quotable evidence this message board will be the wrong medium.

gedo1, Nov 17, 7:01am
Already had a quick reply from bro in law (made me crack up, too) It reads."Heavens!What speed are you allowed to tow at over there to do that to the front windows!"He then adds " .in all the checks I have done of a number of brands here in UK and many which have been used throughout the Continent where they can tow at considerable speed I have NEVER seen any evidence of that sort of damage.Can you get details for me please, and I will approach manufacturers direct for comments"Over to youMonaro17.

gedo1, Nov 17, 7:04am
I do like your comment about quotable evidence and this message board being the wrong medium.Rather says a lot about any. um. "evidence" or unsubstantiated claims don't you think!

monaro17, Nov 17, 7:08am
I cannot remember the exact models but I believe The older (10yrs+) Adria (I think- it was a number of years ago now) caravans with the full width front window had some (emphasis on some) problems with the front windows. I believe modern examples have completely sorted this so it must have been an isolated problem.

monaro17, Nov 17, 7:10am
No- Its hard to say through text, but what I meant is, this is a motoring board focusing predominately on cars, I'd say a caravan and camping discussion board would be a better medium for you.

splinter67, Nov 17, 7:13am
youve summed up this message board in one small post well done

gedo1, Nov 17, 7:17am
.and Adria is an English brand, then!