Why do I have to give my DOB to register a vehicle

badcam, Nov 19, 9:55pm
Is this actually the law, or is it just bureaucracy!

curlcrown, Nov 19, 10:03pm
If it bothers you that much set up a company and register it to that.

bellky, Nov 19, 10:03pm
DOB is an identifier. I have no proof but I'd guess it's a bit of both.

desmodave, Nov 19, 10:18pm
Big brother is watching us all.

tmenz, Nov 19, 11:15pm
They need to know if you were ever in the Boy Scouts.

phillip.weston, Nov 19, 11:50pm
think that's bad try registering a car in Australia without even a valid drivers licence for that particular state - and to get the drivers licence is difficult if you don't have three forms of ID (and no an overseas drivers licence can't be counted as one of them).

Car ownership in NZ is such a doddle compared to elsewhere - be thankful it's only your DOB they need!

smac, Nov 20, 12:01am
Law. It's all about having enough info to uniquely identify someone. What would make more sense would be an identifier for each person the way they use a social security number in the states. Easiest to implement would be our health number for those born here. Trouble is the civil libertarians have been fighting the use of unique keys forever here, and so far seem to be winning. SO you're stuck with name, DOB, place of birth, stuff like that.

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2011/0079/latest/DLM2938383.html!search=ta_regulation_L_rc%40rinf%40rnif_an%40bn%40rn_25_a&p=2

bitsy_boffin, Nov 20, 12:09am
That would be your IRD number.

smac, Nov 20, 12:15am
Ahh but the problem is the privacy commission are still stopping govt departments from sharing identifiers. Apparently they miss the point that letting the govt uniquely identify you is more likely to help you than hurt you (assuming you're not trying to hide).

nightboss, Nov 20, 12:26am
That is an identifier, but not everyone in the country has an IRD #.

"Name with DOB" is linked to most if not all government databases; health, education, police, justice, IRD, customs, immigration, etc etc etc.

What this means is once a government organisation gets your "name and DOB" on one of their forms they can access much more than you are aware of.

When you go through a police checkpoint what do they ask you to state!

Where can I buy tinfoil hats - anyone!

andrew697, Nov 20, 5:20am
I will bite - what do you think police can access at checkpoints!

curlcrown, Nov 20, 9:26am
Are you big brother!