Audi A4 1996 alternator belt change

flack88, Nov 26, 7:13am
Friend was told by a garage,that the front end has to come off too access belts !!!motor 1.8 non turbo,has 3 accessory belts,looks like there is no room/!is their an easier way!!.

a.woodrow, Nov 26, 7:35am
front is actually quite easy to take off

flack88, Nov 26, 7:44am
Rodger,i will tell her that,she can drop the kids at school,and rip the front end off the pos,it,'easy' apparently !thanks for the help,is that why garage quoted 380 ta change a belt!!

a.woodrow, Nov 26, 7:48am
You won't get much help with sarcasm mate, less than an hours work, maybe you should try a different garage.

supernova2, Nov 26, 10:37am
Might be wrong but thought that the front just tips forward out of the way and not actually removed as in "come off"

a.woodrow, Nov 26, 11:13am
yep goes forward into service position. I think OP is going to get his missus to fix it going by his post

gram, Nov 26, 9:23pm
How did the garage determine that the accessory belts needed replacing.! Usually they are replaced at the same time as the cambelt, because it isn't easy to replace them later as your quote indicates. Maybe it's time the cambelt was replaced too.!
Yes 2 or 3 belts according to the model, driving alternator, power steering pump, air cond etc.
The front of the car swings to the side to allow space to work in there. Easy if you know how.

flack88, Nov 27, 12:18am
One broke,the others are all cracked,And it is not my car.Looking at it,it needs trans service,air ,oil and filter,new front pads,coolant replaced,oil leaks fixedcambelt ,tenisoners,water pump.and none of it going to happen!new alternator belt is it,they cant afford to do it.Got the front moved forward now,trying to find a belt.

gram, Nov 27, 2:23am
Hmm sounds as tho there is $2000 plus worth of maintenance due. Might be costly for the owner to put it off.

intrade, Nov 27, 2:36am
they should have self tensioners that just flick over with a special spanner and then you take the belt off . thats how most of the ones i have worked on .
dont know about the 96 model but 2001 model whole front with lights and all unbolts but need to know where the bolts hide easy to do if you know. haynes manual is what i would get for diy or leran german and get a german manual for it.

intrade, Nov 27, 2:41am
something like this
http://www.fixya.com/cars/t3013488-serpentine_belt_diagram_1996_audi_a4
ps foryou morons on here i know what i talk about i just use google to findwhat i already knowto see if i can find immages and instructions that match what i know.

flack88, Nov 27, 4:25am
Thanks intrade,why do they leak so much oil!/!are they British Leyland developed!!

intrade, Nov 27, 4:38am
na probably never serviced right. my 2001 vw has got 0 oil leaks . i can tell you about toyota 2c engines that leak oil like hell because the plastic rocker cover twisted and will leak even with new gasket . i went and fitted a old cast aluminium one from a older 2c toyota to stop that from leaking like hell.

00quattro00, Nov 27, 6:49am
Probably because its due for rocker cover gaskets, it was made in 96.

flack88, Nov 27, 7:06am
Yeah it appears that way,cambeltlooks well lubed!whats the oil thats used for the pwrsteer,is a special type!its lower than the low mark as well.

mugenb20b, Nov 27, 7:53am
*shakes head*