---- Power V Weight ----

Page 2 / 3
xpfairmont, Nov 27, 11:54pm
In traffic, my push bike will blitz all of ya!

harry353, Nov 28, 12:06am
Microlite is the way to go. Now I've stuffed the thread.

splinter67, Nov 28, 12:08am
yes but they handle well lol

ninja_man, Nov 28, 12:15am
japp cars do it for me, i prefer the sound of a screaming 2jz motor over a v8. Honda also appeals to me, the feeling of my b18cr engine keeping up with turbo cars is very rewarding

thegravelracer, Nov 28, 12:37am
+ 1 , turbo it and destroy them lol

ninja_man, Nov 28, 12:41am
or k24 it. still N/A and will beat alot of turbo cars and piss all the honda haters off

edangus, Nov 28, 12:46am
I am happy with Turboed 4s as a minimum spec. Next Choice Straight 6
Next Choice V8.
A car for every occasion is the best!

mrfxit, Nov 28, 1:47am
LOL either way .

Yep doing that to the Surf at the moment.
Std steel rims are (close to) 13.5kg each, Alloy mags that are going on are 7kg each.
Thats going to be 24kg off the suspension hubs + another 6kg off the spare wheel.

bill-robinson, Nov 28, 1:54am
you could go really light and chuck the surf,then sell the wheels. That is real light performance.LOL

mrfxit, Nov 28, 1:56am
Apparently Google searchs show it was Henrys quote which I could confirm if someone wahts to pay for new reading glass's for me, (I have a large volume "autobiography" on Henry Ford here)

>> Quoted from the forum below >>>>
http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/aircraft-design-aerodynamics-new-technology/5632-simplify-add-lightness-2.html
Re: Simplify and Add Lightness

The origin of "Simplicate and add lightness". it was said by Henry Ford to William Stout, developer of the first commercially successful all metal airplane. Ford bought Stout's company and retained Stout. The Ford Trimotor was the eventual result.

But I like Saint-Ex's take:

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

-Dana

>>End quote<<

mrfxit, Nov 28, 1:58am
LOL yea whatever . You have to admit, thats a pretty good result just by changing rims.
Same spec as factory (size/width/ offset)

smac, Nov 28, 2:11am
Interesting about the quote if it's correct.

I guess the history around Chapman was that he made it his mantra, rather than actually coming up with the line. I'd assumed that meant it was his line.but maybe not.

mrfxit, Nov 28, 2:22am
yea ppl get misquoted all the time, bit like on here aye ;-)

love this bit on the bottom of that websites member posting

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs"

kazbanz, Nov 28, 2:26am
Right untill theres a decent gust of wind. Ohh and lets see ya park ya microlite in the office carpark.
Now a Gyrocopter.

elect70, Nov 28, 2:32am
Just bolt on a 671blower&Or 500 HP nitrous kit& blow them into the weeds

harry353, Nov 28, 2:35am
It will park ok it's just the take off that will be a problem.

craigs_workshop, Nov 28, 3:37am
just being light doesnt mean your going to handle well

some heavy cars handle superb

craigs_workshop, Nov 28, 3:40am
well the dinosaur LS1 weighs around the same asthe VK50 , but is probablly more reliable when both are tuned to 600 hp

bellky, Nov 28, 4:00am
'Power V Weight' doesn't make much sense to me. faster cars have a higher power to weight ratio and can either be big or small cars in terms of size - personally I prefer a Falcon or 4x4 size vehicle for daily driving, and as fast as I can afford.

socram, Nov 28, 4:07am
Are you allowed a foot in both camps!My project car is a 1950's saloon with a Rover V8 and I expect to enjoy that as much as I used to enjoy, like smac, a Mini with a hot 1300cc engine.

The difference is that a hot 850cc Mini with your foot to the floor, is heaps more fun than a modern BMW Cooper S, where you never get to boot it - legally.

The V8 weight distribution is an almost perfect 50/50, so I can't wait to see what it feels like, but it certainly sounds good!

corvette3, Nov 28, 5:20am
Well I own 4 V8 Vehicles.
1/ Corvette Roadster
2/Chev C1500 Pick up
3/1971 Chev El-Camino Prostreet 468 B/B
4/1954 Nuffield Tractor with a 383cuin Chev in it.
So as you can see I have a passion for V8s.

bill-robinson, Nov 28, 6:03am
Bloody good result, and weight lost in the best place as well. nice one. Shame one cannot buy light tyres to help as well

mrfxit, Nov 28, 6:35am
Mmm now the tricky bit could be finding out & deciding if I need to do anything with the std shocks.
Budgets getting a bit tight so may just have to work around that subject

bill-robinson, Nov 28, 5:30pm
probably not, as you have reduced the unsprung weight

esprit, Nov 28, 7:32pm
Well I've got about 215bhp, but only 720kg to drag around, and it handles rather well.

"Adding more power makes you faster on the straights, reducing weight makes you faster everywhere" :)