Thoughts on 1993 1800cc v6 Mitsi Eterna?

phillip.weston, Nov 29, 12:04pm
thank god it's manual because the autos crap themselves.

Check for wear (knocking noises) from the front suspension - would usually be the bottom ball joints - there are two on each side due to the multilink arrangement.

Engine ECUs and distributor ignition modules can cause trouble but it's at the age where it would have played up already and most likely fixed.

Other thing to check if cam belt and water pump has been replaced - not a huge job if it needs doing though.

Noisey lifters can be fixed by using decent oil, or if that doesn't fix it Proma MBL8 will.

Not a bad car in my eyes, quite comfortable and handle very good. My only gripe with driving one is the steering feels too vague and over-assisted. The V6 engine is smooooth and sounds great when on song and can return reasonable fuel economy with the 5 speed manual box too.

phillip.weston, Nov 29, 12:05pm
PS I've owned four E54A Galants (2000cc MIVEC V6) and an E54A V6 Emeraude which is basically the hard-top version of the Galant/Eterna.

lazzo, Nov 29, 12:16pm
Ive had experience with many of these, These things have a great engine in them, I wouldn't be worried about the kilometres, that's very reasonable for its age. Some had the tick.tick.tick but nothing to worry about as Phillip has suggested. Some were cursed with 4 Wheel Steer, but this one looks like a basic one without it.

intrade, Nov 29, 8:09pm
v6 is bad at the best of times all crack rear headsincluding the toyotas. the only one not doing it is the vw and that is the vr6 so its not uneven cooled like them other v6

intrade, Nov 29, 8:09pm
v6 is bad at the best of times all crack rear headsincluding the toyotas. the only one not doing it is the vw and that is the vr6 so its not uneven cooled like them other v6
are you sure its 1,8 v6 that would mean tini pistons and possibile more steel round the head so it could be that that one wont crack headseasy if it can absorb the heat in to the block and cool that way .

kevymtnz, Nov 29, 8:22pm
be ok if it hasn't been thrashed 202k n being a mitsi prob start using oil soon (250k+)
can tell by the smell when following
even though it may use some they do drive pretty well
price 2k! resonable if belts done and good tyres
if not prob $1200

intrade, Nov 29, 8:25pm
you want to check what the clutch is like at 200,000 it should in theory already have anew clutch or it could be soon worn out if it dont.

mrfxit, Nov 29, 8:57pm
I hae also owed a couple of these Mitsi V6's & as above, they are generally a very nice car for it's price range.
The auto's tend to be a bit troublesome at times but generally only with very high km's or abuse/neglect (jerky shifts & stripped torque converter shafts)
The manuals don't appear to give any hassles other then normal for any manual box
Suspensions are normally pretty easy to work on IF. they give problems.
Electrics are generally good apart from the random engine computer issues but 99% of them have already surfaced & been fixed/replaced by now.
Valve guide seal give leakage problems at around 200,000/ 250,000kms but then again most v6 Mitsi's of that age do that & it's not a hard job to fix IF the person knows what they are doing.
NO. they DON'T crack heads

mrfxit, Nov 29, 9:04pm
Regular oil changes
Be nice to it & it's going to be an economical vehicle with a nice bit of performance to match.
Very smooth engines/gearbox's etc.

Not sure which variation of engine you have but I would suspect it's the single cam/ distributer model.
(& looking again at the auction, I see I am correct)
The coil pack & twin cam models are better all round performance &slightly better for economy.
Not a lot between those 2 variations for day to day driving.

sabbath-black, Nov 29, 11:29pm
.i want some of whatever fine imported drugs tradein is on.it must be good stuff

mugenb20b, Nov 29, 11:29pm
Don't be surprised if the second gear feels notchy, quite common, nothing to worry about as long as it doesn't pop out of any gear.

mugenb20b, Nov 29, 11:32pm
It must be good stuff.his tongue hangs out with almost every post he makes.

phillip.weston, Nov 29, 11:54pm
Yes it's a 1.8L V6 - Mazda also make a 1.8L V6 engine too. Mitsubishi also made a 1.6L quad cam 24V V6 engine and holds the record for the smallest production V6 engine. I have never heard of heads cracking on the 6A series of V6 engines, and they would only blow a head gasket if overheated.

phillip.weston, Nov 29, 11:54pm
The 6A V6 along with the 4G9x engines don't tend to burn oil at higher milage like the older 6G V6 or 4G6x 4cyl engines.

mrfxit, Nov 30, 1:16am
LOL arrhh yes Mitsi v6 cam belts .

Would rather do 5 xMitsi Galant v6 cam belts then ONE Nissan SR20DE 96 Atessa starter motor . ANYDAY!

flashgordon_nz, Nov 30, 9:44pm
thanks for the input! off to look at it today! will look at tyres, and ask about timing belts. might take a trolly jack and look at the balljoints too.

mrfxit, Nov 30, 11:22pm
If the back wheel bearings are 'slightly' loose, but theres absolutely NO noise, then they "can" be nipped up firm again, (in place, without removing anything but a cap)