Mercedes ignition key query

diddi1, Dec 24, 7:29am
Just bought the wife a '99 Merc C200 that came with only one ignition key. She's guaranteed to lose it in the not too distant future so I'm hoping to be able to purchase a spare. I realise when I get one it will have to be set up thru a MB dealer at a ridiculous cost but I'm hoping to not have to pay their price for the key itself. Anyone have any info where I could obtain one!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 24, 7:51am
I am all for money but with MB keys I generally don't bother. I haven't tried to get one for a MB that old but with the next series of C Class the dealer in Newmarket is about the cheapest around.

With regard to buying keys off ebay and whatnot, there is a bunch of traps you can fall in and various jiggery pokery you need to be aware of.

I would save the money somewhere else.

Anyhow, that's my experience/thoughts. If someone has a cheaper better method that doesn't involve iffy cloning of the existing key I am all ears.

tigra, Dec 24, 7:59am
You can only get Merc keys that work, from a registered agent/dealer. Merc forum oft repeated advice.

sr2, Dec 24, 8:01am
Contact Startech Enterprises in Manakau, they do Merc Keys.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 24, 9:14am
They do some keys, might do one for an older Merc like this though, check their website they list them there. Incidentally they were the ones that put me on to the Newmarket dealer where they send cars themselves.
Great outfit startech, I have used them for a while and been quite pleased.
Great

bobin55, Dec 24, 10:11am

bobin55, Dec 24, 10:11am

sr2, Dec 24, 10:51am
+1; great bunch of guys, they allways go the extra distance and you can't complain about their prices!

eagles9999, Dec 24, 7:57pm
But dont you still have to take it to a Benz dealer to get it coded!

intrade, Dec 25, 7:07pm
codig is usually done via obd2 ports technology changes all the time and the gadgets along with it. you search youtube for some videos .