Bought a car with problem

Page 1 / 6
zfu004, Jan 4, 5:45am
I know it is dumb but I bought a car on TM WITHOUT cehcking it out before bidding.Now after a 10KM drive the " check engine" light comes up and after a computer scan the garage told me the timing chain and tensioner need to be replaced that will cost me over 1200! The seller (whcih is a dealer in auckland) told me they will not cover that Because the consumer act 1993 does not cover auction. That might be right legally but I do not think it is right to auction a car without telling bidder important information like the check engine light is on. Could anyone give me some advice or I have to pay for this expansive "lesson"!

martin11, Jan 4, 5:50am
Buyer beware !

sw20, Jan 4, 5:51am
You made the choice to buy without inspecting. Your problem now, not the dealers.

Think of it this way, you won't ever buy another car without inspecting it first.

mugenb20b, Jan 4, 5:54am
What kind of car have you bought!

snoopy221, Jan 4, 5:56am
mmmm I'd reserve my opinion a bit here.
After all the person who has diagnosed should be able to verify.
That the light had been cleared and the problem was pre-existing.
Or Not.

llortmt, Jan 4, 6:03am
So what if it was per-existing!
unless it was mis-described its tough luck.
There is a world of difference between mis-described and undisclosed in an auction situation remember.

kazbanz, Jan 4, 6:04am
ZFU004-What was the vehicle make,model ,year!
How much less than the price they are being sold at by "normal" means did you pay for the car!
Perhaps I misread your post but how I read it is you drove for 10km before the engine light came on. This suggests that up untill then the engine light was not on.

snoopy221, Jan 4, 6:09am
Yes well i was tempted to word that as a holden commadore done somewhere around what 200 k's- but hey could be anything with a cam and crank angle sensor out of sync and a light either ON.
or possibly reset and ON after 10 kilometres.

kazbanz, Jan 4, 6:11am
hey snoopy-given the issue is as the op describes then a camchain can get to "that" level of wear at any time.
OR the mechanic could have misdiagnosed and its the cam angle sensor that has decided to fritz.
Either way the onus would be on the OP to prove that the light was on when the vehicle was in the dealers posession AND that the auction description was false
-I ws thinking of the Nissan Serena and bluebird sylphie with the 2.0l neo engine -known to pop the crank and cam angle sensor.

jason18, Jan 4, 6:11am
Auction number! Car!

arrithedog, Jan 4, 6:13am
No expert on cars, but if light came on after 10km, then it wasn't on when the dealer/trader sold it. How would the seller be expected to know that would happen! Just thinking back, I had a listing that was absolutely fine when I listed it. The day before the auction ended, a fault developed, so I withdrew and relisted as faulty. However, if the problem had appeared 24 hours later, then would I be responsible! Interresting.

kazbanz, Jan 4, 6:16am
From my POV -Someone buys a vehicle at auction rather than through "normal" means they are looking to get a cheap vehicle.
But cheap comes with associated risks.If the OP wasn't prepared to take that risk they should not have bid at auction or at the very least should have had a pre purchase inspection carried out.

arrithedog, Jan 4, 6:20am
Agree. I just bought a Cefiro in Dunedin, Unseen, untested. What a relief when my son picked it up and told me was all good. BUT I accepted the risk that if it didn't go, then it was just tuff !

zfu004, Jan 4, 6:30am
Well, car is a 05 vitz.And to arrithedog,Since the dealer drove the car for more then 200 KM with them (can be proved with ownership paper) I am relly doubt they did not notice this problem.

chebry, Jan 4, 6:36am
Whether the vendor knew it had a problem or not YOU didnt inspect it and bought unsighted at auction Theres a lesson right there try to learn not moan at your own stupidity.

zfu004, Jan 4, 6:39am
Anyway thanks everyone here for the comments

snoopy221, Jan 4, 6:40am
And the mileage is!
And we presume it is an import!-or not!

Fact remains the chain and gears are physicaly worn to the point that the 2 sensors can not accept the variation in timing.
Hence if! it was pre-existing and the check engine light had been cleared prior to your driving it-again- the person who has diagnosed it should be able to comment further on this.
Reality is simply clearing the code and driving it for a few kilometers may well either show a light coming straight back on-or remaining clear for 10 or 20 kilometers.

As has been stated it CAN *just happen* at a given mileage due to wear.

a.woodrow, Jan 4, 6:41am
I'd be very suprised if it needs a new chain. more likely a faulty sensor. take it to a toyota dealer for an accurate diagnosis

kazbanz, Jan 4, 6:44am
Before chucking a camchain in it I'd STRONGLYsuggest an oil flush be put into the engine followed by a change to the correct viscosity oil. 5 w40

kazbanz, Jan 4, 6:44am
Before chucking a camchain in it I'd STRONGLYsuggest an oil flush be put into the engine followed by a change to the correct viscosity oil. 5 w40 followed by clearing the code.
This will never be a waste of your money because a flush/oil change is always a good idea and it may very well sort the problem.
I also doubt very much the issue is in fact the camchain.

zfu004, Jan 4, 6:49am
The computer diagnose has been done at toyota dealer's garage so I will take their words.

gabbysnana, Jan 4, 6:51am
the seller is a dealer, different rules apply.

kazbanz, Jan 4, 6:52am
So again -what was the price paid for the car in comparison to a similar car on the toyota dealers garage yard!

countrypete, Jan 4, 6:53am
How do they apply differently!

a.woodrow, Jan 4, 6:53am
Fair enough. Did they reset the light afterward, and if so has it come back on!