Buying without seeing the vehicle?

gblack, Jan 20, 3:17am
Would you buy without even seeing a car! Personally I wouldn't unless it was new or off somebody I knew well, but weirdly have sold a couple of vehicles on Trade me over the years and each time nobody came to see the vehicle in question until after the auction ended.

Legally they have brought the car once they win the auction, so don't know why people do this.

skull, Jan 20, 3:21am
I'm picking if they didn't like what they saw you would still have it in your driveway legal or not.

NZTools, Jan 20, 3:23am
I,ve bought serveral cars sight unseen.I,ve been pleasantly surprised on thecondition of a couple ofthem, and never been dissapointed.

mugenb20b, Jan 20, 3:24am
Depends on the price, type and location of the vehicle! If I'm upgrading to a later model car, I'd check it out first. If it's an old shitty $2k ute three hours drive from where I live, I'd probably take the gamble and buy it.

sw20, Jan 20, 3:24am
I bought two cars sight unseen. One I still have, read the build thread on a forum so knew where the attention and dollars had gone, so placed the bid, flew up to Auckland and drove it home. The other I just asked a couple of pertenant questions and bought it because it was cheap, it was written off a year later and I was paid out nearly twice what I paid.

NZTools, Jan 20, 3:27am
Also, legaly, that statement isnt worth the paper it's not written on.
Without a signature, there is no contract, and you didnt sign any contract.

They dont legaly own the car, untill you have the money in you hands,

bevharris1938, Jan 20, 3:30am
We brought a v8 jeep cherokee 2000 model sight unseen for $6500 , a good deal. Regret it now as it uses wayyyyyy to much gas

whqqsh, Jan 20, 3:30am
Ive bought 3 cars off here unseen & have had a good run with all three, including the V8 'coon Ive got now. I do go a lot by the sellers F/B too though

carlz05, Jan 20, 3:44am
Bought 3 cars on trade me with only seeing the pics.Has ususally worked out OK., all under $6k though

gunhand, Jan 20, 3:59am
Odd, people saying they have bought cars unseen. Yet the first thing said here when someone has a problem with a car is "did ya get it checked out first"or "only a fool would by a car unchecked" and so on.Yes I bought a bike unseen, but sure as hell got it sussed by a family memeber who knew what they were doin first in the same city.

franc123, Jan 20, 4:26am
If you win, you win, if you lose you lose big time, you can get stuck with huge bills or even something that you can't onsell, or at least won't get your money back on. Its a highly risky proposition in most cases when such a big proportion of vehicles are ditched because people know that their years of neglect are about to bite them, its a national sport.

sw20, Jan 20, 4:29am
I think the difference is, if they regulars did buy a vehicle sight unseen and it was a lemon, they would suck it up, not come onto the MB and cry abouthow they have been ripped off and how the world owes them.

gunhand, Jan 20, 4:30am
Yep, Id be to embarrased LOL.

vtecnet, Jan 20, 4:47am
I took the risk a few times.
Last was with my old 1990 190e merc, was a $1 Res auction, got it at $1020, looked tidy ish in the Pics, when I collected it I couldn't believe how tidy and straight it was, 10,000ks later its still going fine and have only had to change the brake pads. (I changed the oil too of course).
Another time I buy now'd a 4k 1996 528i BMW E39, it only had 96,000k and looked great on the pics, however this car was full of bog and had lots of sanding marks, and about 5 electrical issues I had to fix, however I still managed to re-sell it for $5700, so didn't lose out.

NZTools, Jan 20, 4:51am
When you have a mechanical background, it is more of a calculated Gamble than a blind punt.
You know the likely faults without looking at it, and your maximum bid is priced accordingly.

gblack, Jan 20, 5:03am
OK, so sounds like plenty of people take a punt, but not even a question, phone call or email. I still think I would never do it unless as somebody pointed out it was something you could afford to write off if it did turn out well.

saxman99, Jan 20, 5:12am
Done it on TM twice. One was too far away to view so got my mate to check it out for me, the other I just rolled the dice and grabbed it. I went in expecting both to be utter crap and both were fine.Got lucky I guess.

Neither vehicle was for a daily driver, so it doesn'tmatter too much if they need the odd bit if work.I think for a daily driver I would always inspect myself first.

stabi360, Jan 20, 5:15am
i have got two off here 1st one in dunedin said to him in email if its what is stated in auction ill buy it when i get there
but if it isnt described right .I will walk even though i hadnt purchased a return bus ticket
he picked me up at bus stop took it for a drive gave it a check around for rust cvs the way it sounded and wentdropped him off at his house filled the tank drove home
2nd was in wellingtoni ranghim after auction finished i was the highest bidder but reserve wasnt meethad a chat neg the priceflew up 3 days latergave him the mony after test drive
both were as stated and still really happy with both cars
1 is my wifes and 1 my daughters