Power buffer on paintwork

johnn, Jan 20, 1:25am
My car had to go to the panelbeaters because fallout from a nearby toxic fire fell all over it, as part of the repairs (a panel had to be repainted) they buffed the car to remove all the tar like crap that had stuck to it. Now in the sunlight I can see lines where the buffing was done & I am not too happy about it. It looks like they have used maybe a 30CM buffing wheel on a powertool & starting at the top edge of the bonnet they have pulled it downwards about 3 strokes across the length of the bonnet thus leaving wavey scuff lines in the paint, I just feel that they have rushed the job with a big wheel & lots of pressure & it has scuffed the paint instead of gently polishing it in one area at a time. The car is going back to them as some trim did not arrive & I will bring it up with them but perhaps someone on here with knowledge of polishing/buffing cars might have some advice on this! The car is 2007 model & it is red so it has 5 year old paintwork that has always been parked outside. TIA.

grangies, Jan 20, 1:37am
It is an easy fix for them.

Just tell them you want the swirls marks removed.

gunhand, Jan 20, 1:45am
Yep easy fix but time consuming if they do it right which is why they would have just used a course pad and cutter only. They need the next steps of fine pad and finer cutters to remove the heavy swirls.Walk round car yards every second car will look like yours.

johnn, Jan 20, 1:54am
Thanks for the answers, just needed confirmation of my thoughts, I told them it looked like a rushed job when I picked it up because they didn't clean the car well - didn't even open the doors & hatch lid to get the crap that had gone into the openings, when they said that they would give it a good cut & polish I expected it to come back gleaming instead of scuffed & still dirty.