Bicycle registration

Page 1 / 3
nave12, Jan 23, 12:05am
Why on earth do the cyclists not have to pay a fee for using the public roads as all car,truck,motorcycles etc do,i mean come on we have to bow down to almost their every move out on the roads.It says to give a cyclist a 1 metre gap when going passed them which pushes you out towards the middle of the road and into the danger zone,then you get the two dummies that ride side by side like the old chips programme.Even a 20$ rego would'nt be too bad yearly now would it!.

meathead_timaru, Jan 23, 12:18am
Do we really want more compliance costs for no real benefit!

BTW riding two abreast is, even though mostly unwise, legal.

theram1, Jan 23, 12:22am
Unless passing parked vehicles.

gadgit3, Jan 23, 12:43am
At least 1.5m is the wording lol. In most cases that puts my van on the other side of the road.

funkydunky, Jan 23, 2:20am
passing another car puts you on the other side of the road as well

thejazzpianoma, Jan 23, 2:27am
Other cars don't tend to do 25km/h in 100km/h zones.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 23, 2:29am
+1, even though I get annoyed at some cyclists we need to stop this absurd obsession with taxing and regulating everything. We simply can't afford it.

craig04, Jan 23, 2:32am
Agreed.

meathead_timaru, Jan 23, 3:04am
Taxing and regulating certainly hasn't stopped the incompetent getting driver's licences.

rsr72, Jan 23, 3:06am
#7- Best just to ban the buggers then.

nzdoug, Jan 23, 3:16am
Banning cars wuld be safer.

elect70, Jan 23, 3:23am
Wonderthe powershavent done it.before . More tax for the coffers, every bikecould have a littlelicense platefor whichyou pay a yearly fee, say $100 inc an ACC levy, bike ridershave serious accidents too .

lugee, Jan 23, 3:24am
How would you address the issue of the thousand of school kids that use bicycles to get to school

johnf_456, Jan 23, 3:27am
While I agree if cyclist paid there way it would help with the acc costs resulting from them injuring themselves. As everybody else currently picks up the cost especially motorbike riders.

zak410, Jan 23, 3:51am
Plus that would keep the cops busy checking little license plates on bikes, so we could speed-up.;)

dr.doolittle, Jan 23, 4:01am
Cyclists seldom injure themselves.

curlcrown, Jan 23, 4:29am
Staying at home all your life in a secial controlled invorment with no interactin with any other human being including any type of sexual activity and eating no chocolate and consuming not a drop of alcohol would be safer too.

noswalg, Jan 23, 4:43am
Tax them too, They already have to pay tax on their paper rounds. The taxman will lose no sleep over making mummy or daddy pay a license fee so a 5yo can learn to ride their first bike down the footpath

xpfairmont, Jan 23, 4:55am
And tax anyone who walks on a footpath, or get over it and stop acting like moaning old farts! (and learn to be better drivers)
Stupid thread if I've ever seen one.

howie69, Jan 23, 5:00am
Not worth pursuing, here in the Waiarapa police just ignore cyclists not wearing helmets, so no chance they would check bike registrations. Bike safety appears a low policing priority.

johnf_456, Jan 23, 5:31am
Cough

craig04, Jan 23, 5:47am
Everyone gets a cough sometimes. Not just cyclists.

trogedon, Jan 23, 6:41am
1.5 metre gap.

dr.doolittle, Jan 23, 6:52am
Cycle registration should just be added to fuel tax.

toyboy3, Jan 23, 6:59am
]Cycle registration should just be added to a fat tax