Selling a vehicle with expired plates?

carolinemunn, Jan 23, 9:24pm
Hi, im just wondering how would one go about selling a vehicle with expired license plates! I have had a brief look on TM, but cant seem to find any cars with expired plates for sale. is it a no no!

smac, Jan 23, 9:29pm
Do you mean actually deregistered! Or just expired! You can sell anything you like, but there's things to do, and things not to do. Depends on the scenario.

carolinemunn, Jan 23, 9:40pm
Well, rego was not put on hold, and car hasnt had a rego for 3 years .

gadgit3, Jan 23, 9:51pm
If the plates are Expired (deregistered) then you hand the plates in to a post shop or AA express and then you can sell the car as a car requiring a complince test and new vin number.

directorylist, Jan 23, 9:51pm
Dead plates mean its going to need to be re-certified. What is it!

Depending on the age of the car it can be quite expensive. it all depend on what car, and how much you are wanting to get for it.

smac, Jan 23, 9:58pm
You can sell it, just make sure you complete an MR13A notice of sale with NZTA(do it by phone rather than mail as they seem to mysteriously go missing sometimes), not really much point in handing in plates now but do not give them to new owner otherwise if the vehicle is used Police or local authority may hassle you (they can't do anything but it's still a hassle). Complete a full receipt with all details, signed by you both and one copy each.

directorylist, Jan 24, 12:19am
Yeah, anyone who buys it with the intention of re-certifying it will need a signed receipt from who ever the car was last registered to.

spirogryo, Jan 24, 1:56am
I think you are up for three years rego if it was not put on hold.Attend to this NOW.

smac, Jan 24, 2:22am
No just the first one, once it is deregistered (lapsed in this case) it does not keep accumulating. I would have thought the OP would have heard about that by now, unless of course it's not in their name.

msigg, Jan 24, 4:09am
just sell it as parts.

dasfi, Jan 24, 6:00am
what sorta car is it!

ali-s, Jan 24, 9:48pm
DO NOT hand the plates in. Re-vinning requires evidence of the car's history here in NZ (plates, old ownership papers etc.) so you're making the job of getting it back on the road harder for the new owner.

franc123, Jan 25, 9:09am
Yep besides that the plates are legally able to be reused now if they're in acceptable condition. Since a normal change of ownership isn't possible MAKE SURE you make up a receipt for the buyer and keep a copy of it for yourself stating that, I xxxx last registered owner of xxxx Toyota Corolla reg number xxxxx have disposed of said vehicle on xxxxx date, and have received payment of xxxx and vehicle sold in as is condition and buyer has inspected and is satisfied with its condition, and both sign it.