Harleys = Noise Pollution

Page 6 / 6
timmo1, Jan 30, 11:13pm
Yes. VMAX is faster by .29 of a second.

kwkbrk, Jan 31, 1:54am
And fair enough, generalizations are never fair.
However to be more specific perhaps I should have said that the HD`s that show up and race in Modified Bike (basically street bikes) are not particularly rapid, for a motorcycle of that capacity anyway.
For the record I have a step daughter, and her husband, who both own HD`s . and a mate in Auckland with 3 of them; I don`t outright hate any of them !

16feb08, Jan 31, 2:07am
Funny thing is how everyone calls harley riders rednecks and thinks they hate anything thats not american. Or harley riders are all going through a midlife crisis or are wannabes etc. everyone loves to throw them all into the same group and stereotype them.

No one I have ever ridden with gave a flying f*ck what you rode, as long as you're on 2 wheels. Admittedly, 99% of the guys I rode with were on american or british bikes, but more than a few also had japs at home (myself included) and ride them quite unashamedly too!

Also, I have never met a guy who was in his 40's, never ridden before and decided to buy a harley to make his d*ck look bigger. Its a lifestyle, and you're either in it, or you're not.

edited for the grammar nazi's

sr2, Jan 31, 3:00am
You're right, I will ensure I'm wearing my glasses when posting in future.

serf407, Jan 31, 3:57am
Yamaha YZF-R1 should be on the 1/4 mile time list.

How loud are some of those HDs, Triumphs etc ! Db readings etc!

mazzyz, Jan 31, 4:57am
Good, all's well that ends well and I may even defend your hoony Volvo if any one rags on it unfairly. ;-)

loonee-dial-111, Jan 31, 5:46am
I agree that car drivers should also pass the buck to people on bicycles and pedestrians and make them have lights on during the day and big sandwich signs reading "DON"T RUN ME OVER" because they are even smaller and harder to spot. Because otherwise car drivers can say 'I didn't see that pedestrian/bike because I wasn't paying attention^H^H^H^H^H^H because I was texting ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^ because their lights weren't on and they weren't shouting and waving at me not to hit them!'

wellystretch, Jan 31, 7:23am
Na you're OK, Blackbird is a fairly manly name and your engine is over 1000cc, so we'll let that one slip,

vic008, Jan 31, 9:33am
Never thought I'd say it but Jap bikes look (and sound) pretty good when alongside these American tractors. Mute the noise please.

peacebird15, Jan 31, 10:19am
Im thankful that there are Harleys.

Its saves a bunch of overweight midlife crisis posers from wearing peacock feathers and a drum setto make people think they inconsiderate morons, instead they ride one of the worst handing and performing bikes in the modern market and to make up for the fact its a slow piece of costume jewelry, they make em loud enough to scare kids.

Anyone can throw a bunch of money at one off race motors and get results, Both Lada and Harley do this with a similar contrast to there low spec production engines.

sooty315, Jan 31, 10:20am
I don't mind the sound of them - some are loud and some are REALLY LOUD and I say fine each to their own, the best laugh I have is the roosters riding them wearing stupid WW2 German helmets.

Which always reminds me of Edmund Blackadders quote,

Never in the history of mankind has there been such a mass suicide since Olaf the hairy king of the vikings ordered 80,000 battle helmets with the horns on the inside.

peacebird15, Jan 31, 10:21am
(they aren't that American anymore, many Honda are more US made than Harleys but don't tell the posers that so much of there bike is made in asia)

speeedy1, Jan 31, 10:22am
It is my medical opinion that there is nothing wrong with your childs' hearing So, rest easy, that is a good thing then. You are not alone, there are plenty of "normal, able" children (and adults) who are frightened of loud noises and shadows.Stop grizzling, get some sense of what really matters; life is too short and there are brighter/happier things to focus on

drog, Jan 31, 7:57pm
Amen.

howie69, Jan 31, 8:04pm
Reading all the postings there are a lot of people who have strong opinons against the Harley,and some of the other bikes. I guess if those commenting could quantify their years of experience in riding any of the bikes they are commenting on we could see if their opinon is well founded or just sounding off about something they have little experience with. Just a thought, this way we could seperate the knowledable from the wantabes.

apollo11, Jan 31, 9:54pm
Only been riding for 25 years myself, never ridden a Harley but would love to give it a try sometime. I've never liked the riding style of cruisers, feels like you are sitting on the loo with a magazine. My mates who have tried stock Harleys say that they are pretty low powered but then they are cruisers. Some of the steel parts they bolt to 'em weigh a ton, the power to weight ratio thing is totally ignored. Anyone tried a Buell!

nzdoug, Jan 31, 10:36pm
I love Harleys, spent 7 years on a Sportster and7 on an FX.
YOU GOTTA HAVE A HARLEY to ride with the "clubs", not cubs, if you catch the my drift.
Retired from the scene now.
Love Ducati, but completely diff mentality.