Discount off a used car from a dealer

gaspodetwd, Jan 24, 6:16am
What sort of discount can you expect! We have to go and buy an car- can't afford new, so it will have to be used - but maybe a 2010 or 2011. So if the list price was 25k, what would you expect to pay!

I know it is a how long is a piece of string question - but how much have you had as discount! We are really hard up and every dollar counts!

monaro17, Jan 24, 6:20am
Depending on the situation 22K wouldn't be a rude offer in my opinion

40wav, Jan 24, 6:21am
If you're 'really hard up' why the hell are you buying an almost brand new car!

shaun16, Jan 24, 6:21am
youre not that hard up if you are looking at a 2010ish car. hard up people look at $1500 cars from the 80's!

mugenb20b, Jan 24, 6:32am
Do some research first and see what this car is currently going for and go from there. If the vehicle is priced well to start with, you may not be able to get a discount at all. Good luck.

grangies, Jan 24, 6:33am
Take 5 years off the age of the car you want and save mega $$$

the.wife, Jan 24, 6:36am
Fail!

trdbzr, Jan 24, 6:38am
Look at similar examples and see how much they are selling for, and how much they have sold for eg expired listings, turners price check etc. If you are having money problems, then why not go for a older car!

matarautrader, Jan 24, 6:38am
And don't buy a car that is unusual. Buy the car you see on every street, every corner as parts will be plentiful and cheap(ish). Dont buy a twin turbo, boy racer, or powerful car as you obviously can't afford big fuel or insurance bills.

kdcentralni, Jan 24, 6:42am
Popular subject this, wonder what Gareth Morgan thinks!

aragorn2003, Jan 24, 6:43am
I wish I was as hard up as you are to only afford a 2010 22k used car

morrisman1, Jan 24, 6:59am
you must be hard up cos you are rubbish with money management by the sounds of it. For $5000 you can get a really good reliable car, yes it wont impress your fellows down at the soccer field but get over it, get an older car with not too many km on it, do your research first and save yourself a fortune. You obviously cannot afford to buy a $25000 car if you need discount in order to do so.

gammelvind, Jan 24, 7:10am
Hear hear Morrisman, i wish I was wealthy enough to consider a $25k car.

supernova2, Jan 24, 8:10am
Probably give you an interest free loan as long as you kill a cat or two.Obviously wont help you buy a Toyota though.LOL

neville48, Jan 24, 8:44am
Ditto X 1.

horsepower7, Jan 24, 9:06am
is it on sale for that price! hate it when people come in and ask, whats your best price! when theres a sale tag hanging in the car lol happens alot.

oliver6, Jan 24, 10:17am
Do you ask for a discount from the supermarket ! or whine about the price of your petrol !
Pay the price or look at cheaper cars to buy !

oakie, Jan 24, 5:28pm
as above, Oliver6 is right why do you need to crunch the dealer!. do you barter with telecom etc!

hpaul, Jan 24, 5:57pm
Haggling is standard practice, hence the op's query.

I'd go in low but polite, just the same as dealers would do when they offer derisory trade-in prices.

Take your time, do your homework, narrow your choices and on a $25k car try a clear and confident $21,500 offer, in writing if need be, and see what the counter offer is.

It's a process, they're experts, it's their living. Good luck.

rpvr, Jan 24, 6:44pm
Agreed. I could afford a $25000 car, but the only reason I COULD afford one is that I don't have one. I actually have two cars, worth about $5000 and $3000 respectively. And if I won lotto this weekend, the last thing I would think about would be spending on a car (although I don't know, maybe a nicely restored vintage car would be a good toy to have, and a good investment).

kazbanz, Jan 24, 7:44pm
gaspodetwd -Its not about how much discount you can get.Its about paying a fair price for the car (preferably less) The way to do this is to do your research and find out how that car sits against others for sale