Testdriving a dealer car - what are my rights

Page 3 / 3
jmma, Jan 30, 11:59pm
Serious enough to come back with the money and then be told "Hang on a minute, this next person driving it might buy it first"

pollymay, Jan 31, 12:12am
Sorry money talks. A test drive is no obligation to purchase, you were expressing interest but had made no commitment.

Had they sold to you we could of had another thread with the shoe on the other foot "I turned up with the money in hand but the dealer sold to some guy test driving even though I was first in willing to go through with the purchase, blah blah unethical blah blah"

leelee74, Jan 31, 1:01am
You metioned Honda newmarket loaned you one while your car was getting repaired go and see the sales people there and see if they can source one for you as you have a customer relationship with their workshop and metioned you had one as a courtesy car and was impressed by the experience.

freedomaira320, Jan 31, 1:02am
Yes, and then you would have that person on here ranting how he looked at a car, decided overnight to buy it, turned up the next day with the money, but was turned down because someone else had come along after him, was still deciding whether to buy it (ie testdriving it), hadn't put any money on it yet and then somehow still ended up with first option. I'd call that more unethical.

skull, Jan 31, 2:34am
I think that by now OP should get over it and be out searching for another manual Honda Fit instead of getting stomach ulcers here monitoring this thread. The general consensus is that he has no enforceable rights and needs to get over it, that is not going to change no matter how many pages this thread runs to.

carstauranga001, Jan 31, 3:19am
Unfortunately when so many customers don't give us what you term "common courtesy" any more it's hard to feel compasionate about your position. It seems acceptable today to "stick it up the dealer" but when someone like you misses out on a good deal they get all upset. Having said that it is unfortunate that the minority ruin it for the majority of good customers we have. Good luck in finding something else, I'm sure you will and feel free to share the positive story when it happens.

phillip.weston, Jan 31, 3:53am
You just don't get it lady. The common courtesy has been given to the other person who came to view the car before you and put down a payment before you even decided you wanted it. Perhaps the dealer should have let you know what someone else was interested in it before you took it for a test drive, but then how is that dealer to know that they would have gone through with it and mistakenly turned you away instead resulting in no sale from either party.

It's a hot car at a hot price and it goes without saying first in first served - you shouldn't be getting bitter because you weren't first!

skull, Jan 31, 5:01am
That's totally uncalled for, you need to grow up.

jmma, Jan 31, 5:38am
Gee quattro, whats up with you, I'm sure the lady will take offence at that comment )o:

smac, Jan 31, 5:58am
I'll be the voice of dissent here then.this has nothing to do with 'courtesy in business', or any romantic thoughts of a bygone age where people used to respect blah blah blah. The people above saying such things are trying to bring you down gently.

The simple fact is a car is on sale until a sale contract is made. Somebody else got in first, they test drove it first, they made up their minds first, they handed over money first, they made that contract first. You were still out making up your mind while they had been there and done that. If you can't see this from the other party's point of view ( where you are expecting them to come in, make an offer, only to be told "no sorry, even though you have made up your mind and are bringing us money, we're very sorry it's not for sale again until after the people out driving it come back and tell us if they are interested, and even then you'll have to wait while we negotiate a price", then there's just no telling you I guess. If you don't get this, that it's not about morals, or courtesy, or anything other than just bad luck, then good luck in life.you'll need it.

vivac, Jan 31, 7:13am
Because you are wrong, if you wanted a whole lot of "yes ma'am" and "aww poor darling, let me get you a cuppa" you shouldnt be trying the sob story on the internet, try to friends, they will be more comforting than the reality and the internet.
Once again, the world does not revolve around you, bad luck, there is no-one to sue, build a bridge.

wellystretch, Jan 31, 7:19am
Unethical!! What world do you live in!

kazbanz, Jan 31, 8:28am
ACTUALLY I can as a matter of fact.White is the cheapest color in japan to buy. $8500 plus ORC means basicly$9000.
Now Black or blue even red are dearer to buybut a white manual 05 fit for 9k -easy to do

skiff1, Jan 31, 12:50pm
every one els tried to say the same thing but with a bit of sugar on it. Sometimes people need to hear it plain I think.

outbidyou2, Jan 31, 9:24pm
See ya cry baby