Toyota Cavalier immobiliser problem

nzldave, Jan 31, 2:51am
Can anyone help please ! My neighbour fitted a new starter motor to his 1996 Toyota Cavalier and because he disconnected the battery it seems the immobiliser activated once he connected it back up. The car turns over fine but absolutely no sign of life. The original key with the fob is long gone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

intrade, Jan 31, 3:16am
well its not a toyota probably has obd2 dont know if you can disable the lock via obd2 its a general motor car the cavalier
http://repairpal.com/gm-passlock-security-light-issues

woki, Jan 31, 4:50am
Here is how to fix it . Disconnect battery and then reconnect again . Turn ignition key on so as dash lights light up . Dont try and start the car . Wait 30 seconds , turn the key off then start her up . Let me know how you get on . Cheers :-)

alimac1, Jan 31, 5:15am
Isn't immobilised the default status for a Cavalier!

skull, Jan 31, 5:16am
LMAO.almost true.

fiatracer, Jan 31, 7:09am
perhaps it's a protective measure

nzldave, Jan 31, 9:06am
Good one : ) Almost like racing a Fiat !

nzldave, Jan 31, 9:12am
I did check that site but I think the GM system was used on the Chev Cavalier. A rebadged Toyota ! Thanks for your input.

wind.turbine, Jan 31, 9:18am
I really hate cavaliers now.
gone through a water pump,alternator,fuel pump,front drive boots all within about a year!
and you would not believe how hard parts for them are to find.
I would suggest your friend dumps it once he get it going again.
I am planing on selling mine but the problem is that no one wants it!
sorry cant help you with you problem

westwyn, Jan 31, 9:36am
FYI- just to clarify- the Toyota Cavalier is NOT a Toyota, it is a rebadged Chevrolet Cavalier- the only component with any origin from Toyota is the badge at the front. These were part of a joint scheme between GM and Toyota in the Nineties, with certain Toyota products offered in the States as Chevies, whilst the hapless Japanese were lumbered with the Cavalier to sell. It took a while to shift them. they looked good, and at first, a few Japanese were fooled, but not long after.

Point two- the Cavalier is pure automotive kaka. One of those vehicles that truly is now reserved for those without the slightest idea on what constitutes a good car or bad. Toyota Japan must rue the day they ever accepted these lemons to sell, in their day they did quite a bit of damage to the Toyota brand through consumers disatisfied with them, and blaming them as a Toyota product.

Get it running, cut and run!

nzldave, Jan 31, 8:50pm
Hey thanks for that westwyn, I just naturally assumed it was the other way around. I do have an OBD cartridge but will it give any information with the car not running ! I really appreciate your input.