More power. upgrade time

Page 1 / 2
v8_mopar, Jan 8, 9:33pm
BA XR8

These things are gutless so im in need of more power. She will do 100k's in 5 seconds but its real power is up high in the rev range. Down low is aw and not all that seat pining I would like.

It has an ss cold air induction and an improved exhaust system.

Would like to here from those who have made good ground in getting these 2 tonn tanks to get up off the line

fiatracer, Jan 8, 9:40pm
getting torque isn't so easy. supercharging or change the final drive ratio! smaller overall diameter tyre package! Add lightness.

xpfairmont, Jan 8, 9:43pm
or get a Turbo 6!

kyussr32, Jan 8, 9:44pm
Forced induction or stroke it, stall converter in the trans. Not going to be cheap!

floscey, Jan 8, 9:46pm
get it chipped/flash tuner and you can tune it to suit.

v8_mopar, Jan 8, 9:48pm
The 6 is faster off the line but once in second gear I leave them well behind.
The supercharger is on the cards and readily available if I get no better ideas. Stall converter wont help much in a manual

v8_mopar, Jan 8, 9:51pm
The FG 5l seems better off the line but the smaller engine would help this. The 5.4l BA has great top end speed but not of much use on the road

trader_84, Jan 8, 9:58pm
Why don't you just get a Chrysler - like your nic suggests and be done with it. What are you doing mucking around with anything Ferd other than a diff!

unbeatabull, Jan 8, 11:12pm
tbh I'd never own a BA/BF XR8 - after working on them everyday,as you've said, they're gutless!

I've seen a lot come through with various modifications - the only ones I've seen do anything other then noise is extractors and a tuned exhaust system, and otherwise cam/head work, ECU/tuning or forced induction. don't get suckered into bigger throttle bodies unless going forced induction, we've had to prove to a customer on a dyno it made no difference on the NA - in fact it lost 5hp.

xpfairmont, Jan 8, 11:23pm
But that's why people still buy V8's at all "the noise".
I'd buy an F6 any day over a new GT. The F6 is the only REAL performance car FPV have made.

doug207, Jan 9, 12:30am
The six is better in a straight line and far, far cheaper to get a huge amount of grunt from.

Or sell it and buy a VAZ 2105! That'll give you something to moan about.

rkauto, Jan 9, 3:17am
Reflash ,have done a few of these with good results.
check out chiptorque.com.au

cypherboy, Jan 9, 3:59am
Im getting around 190hp from a 4 banger 2L NA
But the car only weighs 1040kg or 1110 with me in it, have really surprised a few of the wannabe dragsters at the lights :)

vtecnet, Jan 9, 7:01am
Come for a drive to CHCH and visit these guys (After you book) http://www.harmanmotors.co.nz/ford-products

akaniva, Jan 9, 7:42am
You need 500+ cubic inches for big-block torque at low revs. not the small sized engine you have.

earthlink_inc, Jan 10, 1:23am
Throw a blower on it! Seom seriously good results being seen in Oz using the Kenne Bell setup.

Alternatively trade for a turbo 6. My guess is that if your XR8 has previously beaten one it must have been a stocker!

floscey, Jan 10, 1:40am
nothin pulls harder than a chebry.

patiki1, Jan 10, 4:08am
Sounds like your in need for a positive displacement supercharger.

whqqsh, Jan 10, 6:26am
interesting reading (apart from the usual off topic & biased sillyness) I'm looking at the same for my EL V8 but dont want blower or obvious type mods to make insurance-man unhappy. First stop for me would be dyno as unlike most 8s Ive had it isnt that flash down low but really picks up mid & upper range. being older & not owned by me very long I dont know whats been done apart from the obvious exhaust due to the nice grumble

chook90, Jan 10, 8:35am
I've driven (but not owned) both BA and BF XR8 and can honestly say they wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding compared to an F6 or XR6t in the lower rev range.
Blue Power Racing in Aussie have always done a lot with the Boss engines from mild to insane. If you are wanting to stop short of supercharging then headers, hi flow cats, exhaust (sounds like you have that bit already but unsure on headers and cats), flash tune is a good start and will raise torque dramatically at a more usable point in the rev range. Next on from there is cams, plenty of choices and most choose to deal with the weak oil pump issue whilst they have it in bits.

Good luck.

floscey, Jan 10, 9:34pm
LOL.chipped modified race car.

dave653, Jan 10, 11:30pm
20 year old with a turbed Honda!

morrisman1, Jan 11, 12:09am
NZV8 cars still have a carburettor.

wrong2, Jan 11, 1:53am
the eaisest way to more torque, will be a proper extractor

modern cars are so gunged up in their exhausts its not funny

most have decent powerbands, that are completely strangled by their exhausts

your single biggest gain wont be made by parts changing in the motor - your single biggest gain will be made by swopping the exhaust for something decent

"something decent" wont be found sitting on a shelf - it will have to be hand made

neville48, Jan 13, 6:24am
Sounds like you want to get off the line a bit quicker only,Balance that motor, LINK it then throw some NOS at it.