Toyota 86

Page 2 / 2
smac, Feb 12, 9:00am
Meh.maybe a regional thing, or maybe an age thing. To me blown has always meant supercharger.

bill-robinson, Feb 12, 5:14pm
well what does a turbocharger do then!

bill-robinson, Feb 12, 5:15pm
still supercharging is it not!

smac, Feb 12, 5:42pm
Whatever. You know what I mean, as does the rest of the planet. The commonly used terms refer to the hardware used (a turbo, a supercharger) rather than the effect. If you think this is wrong in some way, perhaps offer up your view point rather than just asking cute questions.

bill-robinson, Feb 12, 5:52pm
all types of supercharger have the same EFFECT the only variation is the drive system or systems in the case of compound superchharging

gadgit3, Feb 12, 6:09pm
all types of supercharger have the same EFFECT the only variation is the drive system or systems in the case of compound superchharging

Quote bill-robinson (76 )6:52 am, Wed 13 Feb #30

Ya answered your own question lol

hpaul, Feb 12, 6:25pm
The engine is low powered on purpose, it needs ragging and the fun's in ragging it without doing 200 everywhere.

Using a small capacity normally aspirated engine also keeps weight down as the drivetrain doesn't have to be beefy to handle high power and torque loads.

There's plenty of higher powered, cheap RWD fun cars out there, 350Z's etc if that's your thing, even most E46 M3's cost less than the 86.

bill-robinson, Feb 13, 6:21am
feed up with people making statements as if there are multiple things when there really is only variations. that is the reason for my question.

smac, Feb 13, 6:42am
Y'what! A supercharger and turbo are completely different concepts. Saying they are just variations is like saying a 2 stroke and an OHC are 'just variations' of intake.

bill-robinson, Feb 13, 7:30am
explain your version of the word concepts please. then apply this to the diffrent types of supercharging
seewhat I mean gadgit3

wrong2, Feb 13, 7:33am
yes, but with a Turbo

the pedantic horse never does nice things for its riders btw. different expressions help convey the different methods

wrong2, Feb 13, 7:33am
& Compound Charging will always be the ULTIMATE ~

bill-robinson, Feb 13, 6:47pm
so what do you drive that has compound supercharging then! who does a road car that is fitted with it! yes it is good but impractical.

rob_man, Feb 13, 7:02pm
Very astutely put my good fellow, not everybody wants to be driving a hand grenade and as somebody else said somewhere; "it's more fun to drive a slower car fast than drive a fast car slow".

smac, Feb 13, 7:11pm
Sure I'll humour you: a supercharger uses mechanical power to provide forced air induction. A turbo uses exhaust gases.no mechanical link. So this is what I would call a "different concept". If you are simply focusing on the end result (forced induction) and think these are the same concept, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

timmo1, Feb 13, 7:17pm
The original applications of a turbo, at least on aircraft, were referred to as 'turbo-superchargers'.-
i.e. the effect, regardless of what hardware you use (turbo or mechanical supercharger) is 'supercharging'. One method supercharges the engine via a turbo, the other via a supercharger.
Nowadays most people simply refer to the hardware type.
You are both right :) High five each other and get over it

rob_man, Feb 13, 7:18pm
Can we restart the debate about high/low terminology for diff ratios now! It would fit right in with the blower/turbo one.

timmo1, Feb 13, 7:21pm
This. I've had a couple of fast cars, but the instances where you can really use them are few and far between- The last couple of cars I've had have been low powered, light weight and perfectly balanced (in terms of power/braking, power/grip, weight distribution etc) and they are immensely more fun, cost less to run (in fuel, tyres, brakes) and more satisfying to drive.
The new soft-top concept looks awesome

smac, Feb 13, 9:52pm
Ya ya .fascinating stuff. The original point was that somebody thought the engine bay was too small for forced induction. I pointed out that no, this was not the case, and that a number of tuning houses were releasing packages that included both turbos, and superchargers, so space was not an issue.

Any debate around the difference (or lack thereof) between a turbo and a supercharger is completely irrelevant.