Toyota 86

Page 1 / 2
twink19, Feb 9, 8:05pm
the new Toyota 86 is a Subaru with Toyota badges, why would they do that

hpaul, Feb 9, 8:11pm
Or a Toyota with a Subaru badge.

Collaborative R and D, shared production facilities, lower build costs to produce a niche car for a small market at a competitive price.

gadgit3, Feb 9, 8:24pm
And lets not forget who owns a good part of Subaru.

inkapuka, Feb 9, 8:40pm
OR a scion Fr-s

gadgit3, Feb 9, 8:46pm
Scion is Toyota

itsbutters, Feb 9, 8:59pm
It's a Toyota with a Subaru engine. Not a bad thing either. I hear the EJ20 is very similar and there's a chance turbo bits from them can be used.

Also, the original 86's are more fun to drive ;)

msigg, Feb 9, 9:21pm
I tink you will find that all the car manufactures you parts and designs/engineers from other manufacturers too.

twink19, Feb 9, 10:25pm
most of the panels have Subaru stamped on them, Toyota are hoping to run a race series with them

noodleman4, Feb 10, 12:27am
Saw one charge around Nelson port recently seemed to handle the tight corners very well.

mazzyz, Feb 10, 10:52pm
One of these(black one) lives down at the local shops. I was parked next to it the other day and I have to say it's just a lovely looking little car. Curvy, compact, rwd coupe - If they'd had these around when I was younger and I had the coin I would snap one of these up no doubt, nice.

phillip.weston, Feb 10, 11:46pm
All three variants (86, BRZ, FR-S) are built by Subaru in their factory. The platform is very heavily based on the current model Impreza with some changes to allow the engine and gearbox to sit much lower and further back towards the firewall. Front and rear suspension is near identical to Impreza save for some different length (and rating) dampers/springs and the front control arms flipped around. The insides of the front guards at the top are stamped with the Subaru emblem. The only Toyota input as far as mechanical components go is the direct injection system on the engine with all models having both Toyota and Subaru badges on the top of the engine.

Toyota had the most input with the design, development and marketing of the vehicles. It is as much a Toyota as it is a Subaru - Toyota handled the concept through to production stages while Subaru handled actually putting the thing together from their parts bin.

itsbutters, Feb 11, 12:16am
Wow I got that wrong then. Thanks for the info

phillip.weston, Feb 11, 12:49am
all three cars (of which only two will be available outside of the US) are amazing light nimble well handling vehicles, although slightly underpowered and not the best power delivery/torque curve. There's a damn good reason why they conjointly took out the Car of the year award last year in most continents.

itsbutters, Feb 11, 1:03am
Sounds like they're nailed the original 86 then :)

lk104, Feb 11, 3:21am
Because Toyota own 20% of Subaru, bailed them out of the poo.

frytime, Feb 11, 7:38am
the 86 has center of gravity at about 430mm if i remember correct. pretty much very thing is stamped subaru. there are talks of toyota relesing a race ready version (road legal) half cage, no ac, no radio ect. also a supercharged version and subaru a turbo

they handle pretty well for the short drive i had, down on power untill the top end. can't wait for people to start droping sti motors into them

n3d4sp3d, Feb 11, 9:11am
I thought the engine bay was 2 small to accommodate turbo componets which is why the STI BRZ is only getting suspension and ECU remap am possibly wrong but that is what I rember reading before the BRZ and 86 were launched.

neville48, Feb 11, 9:26am
My friend has a brand new Red one and loves it, were they not developed with a low COG based around drifting !

thegravelracer, Feb 11, 9:19pm
a few words . beautiful .slow

timmo1, Feb 12, 12:36am
A low (and middle) center of gravity helps in all instances/situations

smac, Feb 12, 1:43am
Nope. Plenty of tuners going to work on them already, both turbo and blown.

inkapuka, Feb 12, 5:14am
They also have a 50:50 weight distrabution

bill-robinson, Feb 12, 6:08am
what is the difference!

wrong2, Feb 12, 7:07am
compound charged even

(which is the Ultimate afterall)

phillip.weston, Feb 12, 7:09am
a couple in Japan have already had extreme engine swaps, one has a 2JZ with a massive turbo attached, and there's even one sporting a UR series V8 from a Lexus IS-F. The engine bay is actually quite large given it has to clear the wide boxer engine, it's more so that the brake booster occupies the space where the turbo would usually sit on a turbocharged Subaru engine. You could of course put the turbo somewhere else.