Subaru GTB 1997 models advice

dafly28, Feb 9, 9:53pm
Hi, thinking of getting one of these, the 1997 shape becoming a bit rare or maybe a later shape GTB up to 2001. Any differences with the twin turbo motors etc. Did they all put out the 205kw max from that era and anything to look for when checking them out. Also any advice on the turbo lag ("valley of death" someone on here called it) between the two turbos and I will test drive a few hopefully but not sure what to expect when they boost up. Any advice from owners / previous owners appreciated.

_peas, Feb 9, 10:14pm
Never owned one but plenty of friends/family have.Decent sized good looking wagon (back in the day anyway) that got along alright.They did end up spending plenty of cash on them though.If you don't need the space and the turbo is an essential go a WRX.Lighter and less complicated.If you are still dead set on a larger turbo vehiclethen save for 2004 on.They are a massive step forward and proving to be far more reliable, not to mention the updated looks.

tazcsv, Feb 10, 9:05pm
Nothing wrong with them, thing to look out for is Have they been owned by a boy racerand have they been serviced. Iv found with the turbo lag it happens if you shift gear to soon and your revs drop to a dead spot, it doesnt take long to find it and change at the right revs to get around it.
I would look at the 1998-2002 over the 1997 model. my 2002 gtb is coming up 200 thou ks and iv replaced a coil and starter motor brushes, thats it for 100 thou ks of driving , oh and oil and filter every 6 thou ks.

notorious.tp, Feb 10, 9:27pm
Watch some of the kms with them, and listen for a "knocking" noise when you hear the engine running with the bonnet up, they often fail big end bearings = stuffed engine, oh and make sure the cambelt isnt due, and the turbo lag is quite big if you dont shift before 4k revs (the end of the first turbo)

dafly28, Feb 11, 8:31am
Cheers guys, appreciate the advice, there is plenty to choose from out there but probably not many real good ones.