Inner CV problem Toyota Corsa

rpvr, Feb 12, 6:17am
The left inner CV on my 1998 Toyota Corsa has been leaking grease from under the clip. Took it to my mechanic, who cleaned it up, said the boot is fine and seems to have been replaced recently (before I bought the car) but he did think the clip was not quite straight, released and retightened it. This was yesterday. Took the car for a run on the motorway today and when I checked, it has chucked out grease again, even thrown some up onto the steering rack boot. Any ideas! Will be going back to the mechanic again, I guess it warrants pulling the axle and having a good look. If the CV itself was faulty, would this make it more likely to force the grease out! I think I can hear a slight whirring noise from that area when driving the car. I know what a faulty outer CV sounds like but don't think I've ever experienced a faulty inner CV.

mm12345, Feb 12, 7:11am
Quite likely IMO that he didn't quite get the clip right - if they're the steel bands then a new band was probably needed, access might not have been easy.I doubt a fault in the joint would cause it to lose grease, but something causing it to lose grease could result in a fault in the joint.
I've got a car at the moment with a faulty inner CV.It was a bit "grumbly" in that area for a very long time - which I couldn't diagnose, now it's a definite light clunk at wheel speed - similar to a faulty outer CV sound, but only under light acceleration, and in a straight line.Very slowly getting worse.
Reminds me of a job I need to do in the next few days.I'm only about 95% sure it's the left inner CV - I'm only using ears to diagnose.I had pulled the axle - the joints seemed fine - at least from as little as you can tell.

mugenb20b, Feb 12, 7:19am
Maybe the CV boot clip failed, sometimes the spot welds can let go.

A worn out inner CV joint usually makes a clicking sound under acceleration in a straight line.

rpvr, Feb 12, 8:42am
Thanks for the replies. I climbed under and took a look, the clip feels tight, I can't feel any movement by hand (sometimes you can sort of rotate the end of the boot on the joint itself if the clip is loose) but no, it just seems to be exuding grease right around the circumference. Oh well, back to the mechanic, probably ask him to pull the axle and replace the boot and clip anyway, rather than stuff about.

a.woodrow, Feb 12, 8:56am
I have found that once a clip has been loose and alllowed some grease to leak out, you never seem to be able to get the boot to seal properly again. I would recommend replacing the cv boot if you are having ongoing issues.

rpvr, Feb 12, 9:11am
Yep, I think you are right.