Looking at buying a 97 toyota prado any good ?

geminidragon, Feb 28, 5:37pm
are these motors any good or should they be steered clear of it will be used for towing ,it has got no tow bar which is a good sign as it hasn,t had a hard life and the owners had a number of years and had regular services thanks

geminidragon, Feb 28, 5:38pm
sorry should add its a petrol one

mugenb20b, Feb 28, 6:20pm
They are OK, good power, but I prefer a diesel.

grangies, Feb 28, 6:57pm
If you are not used to paying the fuel bill on an old, large and heavy petrol vehicle. Then do your maths, as you may well be in for a shock.

andy61, Feb 28, 6:58pm
Which motor!-V6 or 2.7!

geminidragon, Feb 28, 7:04pm
i,ll find out what sort thanks

trader_84, Feb 28, 7:20pm
Matey, this board is full of 80's/90's Toyota truck haters. They will use bluff and bullsh1t reason why you should consider some pansy late model ching ching ($) mobile with common rail technology. They'll tell you horror stories about Toyo's being over priced blah blah and give you reason why. They however are not the market but moreso . self opiniated wowsers who frequent this board and probably don't even own one. And its the market that determines the worth of these old trucks not them . and a quick perusal of the market will tell you that the buying public still places high value on these old trucks. Goodluck.

gman35, Feb 28, 7:35pm
Yes , "truck" is the correct term for how they drive also. If want something alot more refined and surefooted on the open road a Ford Territory may also fit the bill . And the fuel cost would prob. be better than a petrol Prado also. (Def. not OK if doing any rough off-road though).

geminidragon, Feb 28, 8:10pm
4000 they want ,no 4wd being done just to pull boat ocassionlly,and the odd drive into town

tazcsv, Feb 28, 8:47pm
At $4k buy it, it will be a great truck for towing but as said i would go for a diesel but for that price the savings will pay for alot of petrol. as for off road i think that comment was for the territory not the prado, we have takin a prado in some pretty rough stuff and it suprised me alot.