Hiace supercustom suspension problems

dellboy2, Feb 26, 5:35am
Hi I have a 1997 hiace, for some time has a clunking/knocking noise from under the front floor from both sides.I took a guess and replaced sway bar D bushes and the sway bar link cushions some time ago.no difference.Ok I disconnected one end of each of the swaybar links (the things with a ball joint on each end) and cable tied them out of the way, went for a drive. Nah noise still there (so hopefully there ok .$300!)over the weekend I did discover one bottom ball joint a bit loose, so today replaced both of them.Now the noise has definatly gone from drivers side, but no difference on passenger side. I am now at my wits end with this fricking problem. I do have anouther issue with front suspension, but will start a new thread for that one, to do with the camber.Any advice will be apreciated, cheers

intrade, Feb 26, 5:38am
is that a 4x4 or only rwd! manual or auto! diesel or petrol!

dellboy2, Feb 26, 5:53am
Hi; Its a 2wd and auto, incidently a few years back it also had a pair of upper front ball joints (the expensive ones) Cheers

snoopy221, Feb 26, 6:01am
Stay rod bushes naffed and the center steel sleeve between the bushes knocking- K.
Oh and fit grease nipples to the ball joints- K
and grease em regularly.

Edited to add the steering stops on em love a little bit of grease every now and then to shut them up on full lock.

andrewph, Feb 26, 6:10am
Lower shock bushes! OKWhen does it make the noise! Bumpy road, cornering, braking, A common noise on hiaces and hiluxes is a squark on turning into driveways caused by the steering stops rubbing on the lower arm as it moves up and down. apply grease to the lower arm where it rubs. If it is the lower shock bush, you may have to lever it up and downwith a prybar to check for movement

andrewph, Feb 26, 6:16am
The easiest way to Check the lower ball joint is with a large pair of poly grips squeezing the top of the joint and the bottom of the stud. Movement may not show up initally because of loading from the torsion bar if you just try levering on it.

dellboy2, Feb 26, 8:24am
Hey thanks guys.Hey snoopy, do you mean the cushions!Ive already done them.They are on the end of the bars (one each side+big washers) the other end of each, is held onto the lower arm with 2X 17mm bolts.There are bit weird though. Do you tighten the cushion end, with the weight of vehicle on the ground! Hope you can elaborate. Cheers

dellboy2, Feb 26, 8:35am
Hi andrewph.The click/knock is on slight to heavy bumps, and when cornering. This will do it in a staight line though as well.I mostly (allthough sometimes I wonder why) do all ourcar stuff.Mainly because in the past Iv'e allways been ripped off.And theres nothing better than knowning your motor inside out and upside down I think. Cheers